Drum Sander

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Drum Sander

Post by JPG »

Yes but subsequent post acquire the 'current' original post(thread starter) title. See next post.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Drum Sanders, Gas Masks and Cobra

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:It doesn't seem to me that there are many restrictions placed upon this editing tool. See title and it is not a quoted response.

However if a post is quoted, the new post acquires the title of the quoted post.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:My 'training' included real(functional) gas masks and real 'gas'.

Gas was tear gas, but the training was 'educational'(especially when we were told to remove the masks while still in the 'gassed' hut) :D

And that was during 'basic' training(boot camp!).
Yes, the AF did that too. I did not have it in basic training but we had it every year during gas mask training. Yes it was tear gas which is basically harmless but it gives you a sense of reality. BTW, those filters are not the same as the "real" filters for WMD/All Hazards.

You had to go in the chamber full of tear gas remove the mask and then get out. Did that many times over the years. That was stopped sometime in the 80's as I remember. Probably some mother complained and the DOD capitulated.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I was doing just fine and then the DI said remove your mask. We were then required to stand there and eventually breath. Then not so fine. Ironically that was my second experience with tear gas. The first was on a college campus. I was just walking to class and across the green the police and a large group of students were getting into it and the police decided to use tear gas. Unfortunately they neglected to account for the wind. It never made it to the intended demonstrators but drifted across the green and gassed everyone else. Interesting day.
Paul
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:

Gas was tear gas, but the training was 'educational'(especially when we were told to remove the masks while still in the 'gassed' hut) :D

Yes, the AF did that too. I did not have it in basic training but we had it every year during gas mask training. Yes it was tear gas which is basically harmless but it gives you a sense of reality. BTW, those filters are not the same as the "real" filters for WMD/All Hazards.

You had to go in the chamber full of tear gas remove the mask and then get out. Did that many times over the years. That was stopped sometime in the 80's as I remember. Probably some mother complained and the DOD capitulated.
Mothers have typically zero concept of war nor the necessary training to successfully engage in one.

It ain't no parlor 'game'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

thunderbirdbat wrote:
jsburger wrote: I deployed to the UAE during the first gulf war less than 30 days after Saddam invaded Kuwait. We were issued real gas masks with the real filters, not the ones we used in exercises at home. Kind of made you think about things a little differently.
I was off the coast for Iraqi Freedom in 2003 and were given the real filters as well. Had the chemical alarm go off twice while there, one caused by painting in the area of the sensor and the other by an electrical fault. Scared a lot of the crew when that happened. :eek:
I am sure it did. :eek: In the first days of the war in 1990, every time we/they detected a SCUD launch from Iraq the alarms went off and into the bunkers we went. The bunkers at that time were make shift earth covered ditches.

I guess you have been to our naval base in Bahrain. I was there when I was TDY to Dhahran Saudi Arabia after the first gulf war. We used to drive from Daharan over the causeway to Bahrain. I bought a lot of gold in Bahrain and Saudi. The Navy also docks in Dubai UAE. Have you ever been there? I was at Al Minhad AB which is about 30 miles inland from Dubai. We had a bus that went into town all the time before the war started. The most famous gold Souk in the world. All the gold is 18K. I bought lots there also, very cheap at that time. Back then the tallest building was 4 stories. Look at it now, WOW.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Mothers have typically zero concept of war nor the necessary training to successfully engage in one.

It ain't no parlor 'game'.
Of course they don't, but the government (DOD) still capitulates to the public. In this case there is no reason because tear gas is harmless.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

At CDP in COBRA Alley participants are given blood draws before training then you prove up the PPE gear and the ability of the gear you use to detect the live nerve agents and how to assess the situation to produce accurate analysis and concentrations. At the completion of each session, you do another blood draw to insure you have not been exposed.

No one takes off any masks or removes any PPE until you have gone through various levels of Decontamination. To do so you would die. You work with live agents using the same gear and protection to prove it up.

Not everyone is allowed to go through the Hot training. Only those who are physically fit enough to participate are allowed in.

It is conduced at the very base where those nerve agents were originally produced and are destroyed today.

One does not know truly how one will react or work in a specific hazard until they are subjected to it. For much younger men than I am today for certain.

Everett

It is not like basic training. It is civilian training for level 1 first responders.
Last edited by everettdavis on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:At CDP in COBRA Alley participants are given blood draws before training then you prove up the PPE gear and the ability of the gear you use to detect the live nerve agents and how to assess the situation to produce accurate analysis and concentrations. At the completion of each session, you do another blood draw to insure you have not been exposed.

No one takes off any masks or removes any PPE until you have gone through various levels of Decontamination. To do so you would die. You work with live agents using the same gear and protection to prove it up.

Not everyone is allowed to go through the Hot training. Only those who are physically fit enough to participate are allowed in.

It is conduced at the very base where those nerve agents were loriginally produced and are destroyed today.

One does not know truly how one will react or work in a specific hazard until they are subjected to it. For much younger men than I am today for certain.

Everett

It is not like basic training.
I totally agree!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

jsburger wrote:
I guess you have been to our naval base in Bahrain. I was there when I was TDY to Dhahran Saudi Arabia after the first gulf war. We used to drive from Daharan over the causeway to Bahrain. I bought a lot of gold in Bahrain and Saudi. The Navy also docks in Dubai UAE. Have you ever been there? I was at Al Minhad AB which is about 30 miles inland from Dubai. We had a bus that went into town all the time before the war started. The most famous gold Souk in the world. All the gold is 18K. I bought lots there also, very cheap at that time. Back then the tallest building was 4 stories. Look at it now, WOW.
I have been to Bahrain a few times over the years and to Port of Jebel Ali, UAE once for about 4 months when I was on a repair ship. There was a bus to take us into Dubai. I think in the 4 months we were there I had enough time off to get there 3 or 4 times as we typically worked 12 hour days 7 days a week in port.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router