Drum Sander

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Drum Sander

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Again,,,, I cant thank you guys enough.

I managed to get the 4" drum made , I cut out and turned down 4 pieces of 2" thick oak,,, then glued them together for the ends. not sure if that will help with the rigidity of the pipe .

The pvc pipe { the drum} is 26.5" long .I used the lathe face plate attachment for the drive section , eventually I may experiment using a shaft and pillar block bearings for the drive,,,,

Then adding a multi step pulley and a drive belt .

My head stock on the SS has a extra drive axle on the ,,{ back side } , looks like a attachment drive ?

I have a couple books on the SS,,, however I haven't seen any thing listed about this or what is is for ?

Can a pulley be attached to this to drive the sander?

Thanks

Hobbyman2
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The back side has two drive shafts.

The upper one(in line with the quill shaft) is for attaching SPTs with the plactic coupler and special hubs.

The lower shaft(actually the idler shaft) runs at a faster speed and is for the jointer and air compressor only. Same coupler/hub setup.

A pulley could be attached, but realize that the internal belts will cause everything to move in addition to the quill shaft(i.e. idler shaft and motor).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks

It sounds like a few different size pulleys would be nice to have around when I get that far .

Than again ,,,,if this works out for what I need I may just use it as it is.

Is there any info on the speed difference?

Hobbyman2
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Thanks

It sounds like a few different size pulleys would be nice to have around when I get that far .

Hobbyman2
Assuming you are referring to the top/idler shafts, the idler shaft rotates 1.6 x the upper shaft speed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Thanks

Hobbyman2
I know of nothing that you could call official.

But I do have this chart that depicts the measured speeds of the shafts on two Mark5/V.
Spindle Speeds.doc
(70 KiB) Downloaded 1137 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Perfect,,,, thank you.

Would appear a 2" pulley on the drive axle ,,,a 5" pulley on the drum would allow for a desired speed adjustment from the head stock.

ya got me a thinking .

as slow as I am ,,,,maybe by the end of the year .

Hobbyman
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Perfect,,,, thank you.

Would appear a 2" pulley on the drive axle ,,,a 5" pulley on the drum would allow for a desired speed adjustment from the head stock.

ya got me a thinking .

Hobbyman
:confused: :confused: :confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Perfect,,,, thank you.

ya got me a thinking .

Hobbyman
A better description of what you are planning might help. Are you talking about having the drum on a shaft other than the main shaft (aka drive axle) (or or idle shaft).

The drum, if mounted in the drill chuck and the Main Shaft is already adjustable (the entire range of that shaft speed).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It is the inclusion of external pulleys that has me confused.

Yes removing the internal gilmer/poly-v belt would allow use of external pulleys between the main/idler shafts. Using different combinations of pulleys there would provide different speed ranges and still be adjustable with the speed control(internal movable sheaves).

The 2"/5" pulley combination mentioned above would yield a speed range of 448 to 3328 rpm at the quill.(2/5 x 1.6) x 700,5200.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

It might be a over kill..

As a tinkerer,,,, we all ways make things more difficult than necessary ,,

I was thinking about using the bottom drive shaft, putting the sanding drum on the opposite side of the SS , using the pulleys will allow that drive shaft to operate the drum instead of the quill ,the pulleys are for safely slowing the speed down , 3300 rpm is way too fast for what I need, some where around 500 - 1000 rpm max is plenty fast enough for the 4" drum with 80 grit.

I think.

My motto has all ways been
,,,Failure is a by product of experimentation,,

Hobbyman2