Garage workshop improvements

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Sazerac81
Gold Member

Garage workshop improvements

Post by Sazerac81 »

Unable to retrieve
Last edited by Sazerac81 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Garage workshop improvements

Post by JPG »

Consider a barrier between the two sides(parking/shop).

That will eliminate the parking half door openings etc. being a significant factor. Will keep dust off her car also! A small motel unit should suffice.

BTW the filter in the air handler will not get all the saw dust particles(not good for the evaporator coils.

'split' systems are $$$ and more complex($$$ to fix).

Off the cuff ramblings. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Sazerac81
Gold Member

Post by Sazerac81 »

Unable to retrieve
Last edited by Sazerac81 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Sazerac81 wrote:No motel unit, unfortunately has to be clean look due to HOA and plus my workshop is on the side closer to the house so no access to outside.
Any chance you can swap sides? Then access door from house (assuming you have one) would be convenient to get to and from car in all kinds of weather. And how about at least a temporary barrier between two sides ... maybe like a cold storage vertical blinds separator. 15' is pretty tall ... is that to your finished ceiling? Your house must have a crawl space and the garage is just slab on grade? Is there a window on the side exterior wall of the garage and could a window unit be installed in it and pass the HOA?
Sazerac81
Gold Member

Post by Sazerac81 »

Unable to retrieve
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Sounds like you are pretty well locked in. With the shop space being next to the house, at least 2 walls are well insulated. A rule of thumb we used to use in Houston area, was 400 SF per ton (12,000 Btuh) of AC for well insulated spaces. With your extra height, and no or very little insulation on other two sides of the shop space, you may have to halve or quarter that, or 200 to 100 sf per ton. At 11' x 21', that's only 231 sf. Looks like most mini-split systems start at around 1 ton for under $1,000, and cost per ton goes down as size goes up.

Here's a link to the type of clear curtain I was suggesting ... not cheap, but allows access thru at any point, and should help contain the conditioned air and the dust.
https://www.strip-curtains.com/order/st ... t=#listing
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Good luck...
I guess I won't be involved in this thread.
I'm sorry but I would have to just move, I will NEVER live like that. :eek:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Sazerac81
Gold Member

Post by Sazerac81 »

Unable to retrieve
Sazerac81
Gold Member

Post by Sazerac81 »

Unable to retrieve
Last edited by Sazerac81 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Yes having other kids to play with is a good thing.
In my basement shop I hung plastic to separate my wood shop from the rest for dust. I cut vertical slits in it and over lapped it by about 8" to beable go through it. It worked out well for keeping the dust out from the shop. I also have a couple 20" box fans hung from the ceiling with 2" pleated Merf 8 furnace filters on the back side of the fans. Works great and quieter then a standard air handler filter system and much cheaper.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)