tripping breaker

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Quazit
Gold Member

Re: tripping breaker

Post by Quazit »

JPG, re continuity checker or ohmmeter. Could you recommend how to perform this check please?

Gotcha re" the switch. I have a switch here somewhere that was an older heavy duty toggle. If you suggest not trying to check that as well, I certainly will not.
SS Model Number 500, Serial Number ss77407, Table Saw, Sander and Drill Press. Also run a wood CNC shop in my home for personal/business use
http://facebook.com/bttcnc
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

I'm sure JPG will reply with a more detailed response, but I'll give you what limited advice I can.

I've been down a similar road before.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 4-s20.html

I "piggybacked" on this thread with my similar problem and got mine working by getting better contact when the centrifugal switch is supposed to be closed. Just touching may not be enough ... the copper "yoke" should deflect slightly.

As far as a Volt Ohm Meter (VOM), it can be used to make sure contacts are meeting well. With power to motor DISCONNECTED and using the OHMS setting (this function is usually indicated by the uppercase Greek letter Omega) to measure resistance, put leads on the bare portion of the wires that go the centrifugal switch contact points. Either lead can go on either wire. When the switch is closed, there should be no resistance and you should get a "0" reading. The VOM sends a small current thru the leads (from its battery) and measures how much resistance that current encounters along its path. A VOM is very useful for this function alone to check and isolate electrical problems. For example, it could also be used to check your power switch, again with power plug DISCONNECTED from power source. Depending on what you are testing, you may not always get an exact "0" for a reading, as there is small amount of resistance in any circuit. You can test the VOM by touching the two leads directly together and get a "0" reading. But as far as telling whether or not a circuit is complete, a VOM is very useful to have. Harbor Freight frequently has ads to get a simple VOM free with any other purchase, and it costs about $5 if you don't need to buy something else.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

He can reply with specific information ONLY if you provide more detail about the motor.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Quazit
Gold Member

Post by Quazit »

Here is the shot of the motor itself.
Attachments
This is the motor to my machine.
This is the motor to my machine.
motor1.jpg (173.1 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
SS Model Number 500, Serial Number ss77407, Table Saw, Sander and Drill Press. Also run a wood CNC shop in my home for personal/business use
Quazit
Gold Member

Post by Quazit »

This is my C Switch
Attachments
and the swich I have in mine.
and the swich I have in mine.
contact1.jpg (49.19 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
Quazit
Gold Member

Post by Quazit »

Pic f the contacts and how they sit.
Attachments
contact2.jpg
contact2.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

When the start contacts 'close', is there deflection of the leaf spring(the strap the contact is on)? That extra motion is called 'wipe' and is an indication that the contacts are actually pressing against each other. If they look like they are merely touching(maybe) thay may not be making electrical contact.

No apparent burning is a good sign.

Creeping is NOT good. It is however an indicator that the contacts may not be making(the start circuit is not complete). Another possibility is a terminal on the start capacitor may have become disconnected.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Quazit
Gold Member

Post by Quazit »

JPG wrote:When the start contacts 'close', is there deflection of the leaf spring(the strap the contact is on)? That extra motion is called 'wipe' and is an indication that the contacts are actually pressing against each other. If they look like they are merely touching(maybe) thay may not be making electrical contact.

No apparent burning is a good sign.

Creeping is NOT good. It is however an indicator that the contacts may not be making(the start circuit is not complete). Another possibility is a terminal on the start capacitor may have become disconnected.
I apologize, Im not sure I understand. With no power to the motor at all the contacts are touching. and theyre touching pretty good. I havent observed them while attempting to start it.

So if I may lets back up. Should the contacts be touching under no power at all If so, should they be pretty tight against one another? Theyre pretty tightly pressed together. It would take a bit of centrifigul force to get that lever to get low enough to break the contact.

EDIT: I checked and as far as I can tell there is contact. The capacitor contacts look fine. I did note that the wires were warming up. But no smoke or anything of that nature. (If that helps indicate anything)

I made an attempt at playing with the bending of the arms on the C switch, it seems to have made no difference.

Also, of note, and I apologize I did not mention it. I am conducting these tests without the motor in the machine. The motor and the cover are completely removed as well as the switch (Which is out of the body of the machine but still attache of course to the motor.) if that makes sense.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes it makes sense.

We have reached the point where visual inspection is not revealing any clues.

That takes us back to measuring resistance etc..

Harbor freight often has a multi tester on giveaway.

The closing of the contacts would be indicated by a near zero resistance reading.

The start winding resistance would be a few ohms.(<10)

Checking the capacitor is more tricky.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Quazit
Gold Member

Post by Quazit »

Thanks to harbor freight it is then ;)