Decisions

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mgbbob
Gold Member

Decisions

Post by mgbbob »

Okay I probably need to start thinking about what to do long term. I have a mid 80s 510 that I have owned about 5 years. I have upgraded to a double bearing quill and serviced everything to the best of my ability. I am thinking at some point I would like to have Jacobs or Shopsmith go through the unit but if I am going to spend several hundred on a overhaul maybe the PP upgrade is the way to go. Any opinions out there?

I am a moderate user now retired and hope to do more work in the future.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Decisions

Post by dusty »

The difference in cost of a complete overhaul and the cost of a PowerPro upgrade, in my mind, can come out only one way. Get a simple overhaul.

Now if you are looking for justification to do a PP Upgrade, look no further. It is weak justification but if that meets with your criteria, you have your answer. In better times, I would take your old, worn old, upgraded 1980s model off your hands.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

mgbbob wrote:Okay I probably need to start thinking about what to do long term. I have a mid 80s 510 that I have owned about 5 years. I have upgraded to a double bearing quill and serviced everything to the best of my ability. I am thinking at some point I would like to have Jacobs or Shopsmith go through the unit but if I am going to spend several hundred on a overhaul maybe the PP upgrade is the way to go. Any opinions out there?

I am a moderate user now retired and hope to do more work in the future.
You have said you serviced it and upgraded it. Are there still problems? If it works as it should it should not need further servicing. Upgrading to the Power Pro is the way I would go IF it is in the budget. If you can buy the Power Pro with no financial impact then go for it. You will never regret the decision. Then you have a decent left over head stock to build a shorty or dedicated drill press.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I find myself in the same boat. I have a Mark 7 i bought new a few years ago and absolutely love it. I made my Mark V into a shorty (but not too short!) and havevjust upgraded it to a 520 shorty. I am now doing a lot of segmented turning and find having two table saws set up at the same time benificial. I now wish for a powerpro upgrade and i can afford it, but i'm cheap. I am saving up for a laser engraver (4 grand). I don't need it, but I want it. Probably won't get it, but....
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Not trying to be a smarty pants here ,,,,,,it appears ya have 2 options ,,,both will either way leave you wondering if you made the right choice, you can talk your self into a PP or talk your self out of it.

My opinion ,, if you think its what ya want then by all means,, we only live once.
If you trust the one you all ready have then,,,,,, by all means,,,,,, keep using it.

Personally I look at like this ,, for me this is a hobby , I don't make a dime off what I build , its all for me to enjoy .

If I were to look at the PP as a investment ,,,,,it wouldn't make any sense , i would never see a return ,,,,On the other hand,,,,,,,,if I wanted to buy the better half a new toy then ,,,,,,, wellll that might be different!!!

Good luck ,, there is no real answer ,, only the choice you make.

Hobbyman2
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

Okay, you guys nailed me. Truth is my machine is running just fine. I really don't need a rebuild. I have had every part out of it and replaced all the bad stuff. I am sure the pros would find something wrong but it runs smooth and quiet so I am good. I think eventually I will buy a Power Pro upgrade but for now I am pretty happy with a good machine. I did my best to talk myself into spending the money and that is okay but since the wife just retired last week I think the prudent thing is to see how this retirement thing goes and then make a decision.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

So she said NO?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hobbyman2 wrote:So she said NO?
You be assuming he asked! :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

;)

I did ,, I mean since he didn't say he all ready had one !!
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

:)

The key to a long marriage ,,,as long as the wife ,,,,,,,THINKS,,,, she is the boss ,, every thing,,,,,, is ok!!

37 years this month!!