Speed control alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mgbbob
Gold Member

Speed control alignment

Post by mgbbob »

Hi folks, I thought I had a stripped speed control but upon inspection I think the set screw was not going far enough into the shaft. I purchased a longer allen screw and it is tightening up now but the speed control handle is a bit askew. I am not sure what to to. Probably nothing but my German heritage is having problems looking at something that goes around a bit off center. Anyone else run into such a problem.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Speed control alignment

Post by JPG »

Did you remove any 'burrs' created by the short set screw on the shaft?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

Good idea. I will pull it back off and take a look.
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

I worked on it a bit. It is going on better but still a bit off. I think I will order a new handle.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Is it possible that the worm gear shaft itself is bent?

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:Is it possible that the worm gear shaft itself is bent?

Everett
I think so! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

You could be right. I am not sure how to check that without taking the unit apart. Maybe I will live with the issue since it is running fine. The unit was partially apart when I purchased it. The previous owner thought he had a bad clip on the pork chop but the problem was actually a stuck sheave. I had it all the way down by the time I was finished since I installed a double bearing quill but I don't remember a problem with the shaft but I might not have been looking. Thanks, Bob