Inherited from family
36%
Inherited from family
15%

Total votes: 121

john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I purchased mine new. I can't remember the year but it was in the low to mid 90's and there is a story behind it.

As with most men of that era, I had seen the Shopsmith demonstrations and thought it was the greatest machine ever, and of course I wanted one.

One of my dear and elderly aunts passed away and I inherited a small amount of money. I didn't want to waste it on some vacation or other soon forgoten item so I decided to get myself the Shopsmith knowing it would be around and keeping me happy for a long time.

One of the considerations was that SS had a retail store in Montreal at the time where I was able to take my introductory course and stop in for advice and to admire all the accessories whenever I wanted. Of course SS expanded too rapidly and had to close their retail stores. Unfortunately, they are almost non-existant in Canada now. Even the local demonstrations are no longer to be seen, at least in this area.

I still enjoy my SS 510 and bandsaw and wish I had more of their equipment to continue making the toys, rocking horses and small furniture that I have over the last umpteen years, and hopefully for many more.

That is why the latest financial news is particularily upsetting. I would hate to see them disappear.

John
jaggy
Bronze Member

Mk5

Post by jaggy »

I have 2, one bought used for $650 w/bandsaw and most standard accessories. The second was free after I bought a new radial arm saw for $350 (still in the box). The free one included a jointer and most of the standard accessories along with a 6" dado set and one of those fancy adjustable data heads, extra bandsaw blades, extra rubber tires and a box of yet to be identifed parts. The Mk5 was pretty rusty and required a lot of cleaning.
beisecker
Bronze Member

I inherited mine from family friend

Post by beisecker »

Hi! I inherited mine from family friend, it's a 10E and works just great. I have had it for several years now.
jasonlester
Silver Member

Post by jasonlester »

I just got mine yesterday. A 1954 model. Works great. I got it for $150. Couldn't pass it up. It hasn't been used in years. I'm going to go through it and oil it and do any mantenence before using it much. I think I need to set the speed controll up right (calibrate it?) But I'm very happy for the price. It has the jigsaw attacment. A coat of paint and it will be alot better.

BTW anyone know what green paint to use?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Welcome to the forum, Lester!

No, I don't know what paint to use, but I'm pretty sure there are some here that can help you. My suggestion, for the time being, is to take your time and go through the many Threads and posts of this forum. Your answer might be right there. Also, if you don't have a Shopsmith catalog or maintenance instructions, search the http://www.shopsmith.com/ pages for this info. This company, if you didn't already know, will assist you in any way they can to make your machine run up to snuff. You can also call 1-800-543-7586 and order a catalog. You'll find the folks at SS to be great to work with!

I know there is at least one guy on this forum that does wonderful work in restoring Shopsmiths. Hopefully he'll catch this post and give you a holler. Since this thread is supposed to be about "How you obtained your Shopsmith" He may miss the questions about paint and maintenance. You'll probably find all the info you want at Shopsmith.com , but if you want to discuss painting I suggest you start a new Thread with a title of SS Paint Colors, or something like that.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
papahammer8
Gold Member

Post by papahammer8 »

this one is my second ss mk5 found it a house about to be torn down bought it cheap
machinist16346
Bronze Member

The story about my Shopsmith

Post by machinist16346 »

Being an avid SS gazer from only websites. I have always admired the SS but due to it's price I could never see paying all that money for something that you could sink literally thousands of dollars in.
Well 2 weeks ago we had went to a Mini storage auction, it's where you bid on everything in the storage bin and it's all yours to take home by the end of the day.
My brother and I had just bought one of the unit contents and moved to the next to wait the unveiling of what was in the next one.
The owner(of the storage units) had said there was a lathe in the bin but couldn't see it for all the other stuff.
The bin went for more than what we wanted to pay and as the new owner of the contents moved some junk in the front, I peaked over the couch to see the shopsmith logo and about fell off my rocker.
I had turned around and said to my brother"well we blew that" as it turned out the gentleman evidently didn't want to take the massive machine home and all it's contents so he offered it to me for $300.00
Turned out it was a 2000 model 520 with the extension tables all the lathe tools and about as clean as anyone would want it to be.
I got it home washed and waxed everything and cleaned all the parts and pieces that came with it. Honestly I still can't believe I got it for that price.
I was very excited and until I get to be a real professinal at all this woodworking I'll keep it around.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

GOOD CATCH Machinist!

Welcome to the Shopsmith forum! Hope you hang around here a while. You'll find lots of Info about your new 520. If you need manuals or other help, just give a holler! There are many around, willing to help.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jasonlester
Silver Member

Post by jasonlester »

charlese,

Thanks for the info. I was going to start a new thread eventualy. I've just been realy busy. I can really see I'll like this machine. It is amazing to me that it is 53 years old and works well. And it amazes me the design hasn't changed that much.

Jason
jcbrowne
Gold Member

Post by jcbrowne »

Bought mine used less than a month ago. Still in the process of learning its capabilities and designing my first project.