Powerstand

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roneg
Gold Member

Re: Powerstand

Post by roneg »

shopsmithpaul wrote:The stand with the bowtie mount is really old.
I can't see how the slack in the belt is taken up with this configuration. Where is the adj. made?
"The older I get..The better I was"
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

Are the pulley kit's still avail? or any pully/V-belt items. All I can find is this:http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ulleys.htm
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

roneg wrote:Are the pulley kit's still avail? or any pully/V-belt items. All I can find is this:http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ulleys.htm
I don't know that were ever "pulley kits" but this document gives you the Shopsmith part numbers of the items needed to equip a power stand for a specific SPT.

Pulleys and Belt (Page 1).jpeg
Pulleys and Belt (Page 1).jpeg (615.92 KiB) Viewed 4588 times
Pulleys and Belt (Page 2).jpeg
Pulleys and Belt (Page 2).jpeg (391.88 KiB) Viewed 4588 times
Pulleys and Belt (Page 3).jpeg
Pulleys and Belt (Page 3).jpeg (596.88 KiB) Viewed 4588 times
Pulleys and Belt (Page 4).jpeg
Pulleys and Belt (Page 4).jpeg (709.97 KiB) Viewed 4588 times
Last edited by dusty on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:Not a simple wiring change unless you do not want it to be switchable.

Making it switchable requires a bit more work.

This appears to be my sketch but was done as a PDF by someone else. Thank you, whoever.

Crafter Station.pdf
Much prettier than your sketch(es) but does not show the two different 'paths'.

Thank You Dusty and 'whoever'.
If you need the paths identified, just say so and I'll do that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

Dusty,
Thank You for posting those images for me.
Yes there are/were such things as pulley kits, I found one for the planer, as shown in the link I provided. but not the others (to date). Thanks for the Images. I actually already had that. I was a little confused at the part where it suggest you raise the Accessory on the mounting tubes!. Sounds like a two man job for sure! Too, for my situation the tubes on the band saw already seem to be pretty short. That's it?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

roneg wrote:Dusty,
Thank You for posting those images for me.
Yes there are/were such things as pulley kits, I found one for the planer, as shown in the link I provided. but not the others (to date). Thanks for the Images. I actually already had that. I was a little confused at the part where it suggest you raise the Accessory on the mounting tubes!. Sounds like a two man job for sure! Too, for my situation the tubes on the band saw already seem to be pretty short. That's it?
I use a pair of wooden wedges to make adjustments like that. Yes, it is a two man job unless the one guy there has some ingenuity.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

roneg wrote:Are the pulley kit's still avail? or any pully/V-belt items. All I can find is this:http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ulleys.htm
AFAIK there were no "pulley kits". The one in the link was just an upgrade to the original set that came with the planer stand. There are six different part numbers for the power stand, one for each different SPT. The reason for that is each one came with the appropriate pulleys for that SPT.

There was only one set of instructions and it contained the information for all the SPT's. If you look at the chart in Dusty's post it has pulley diameter and V belt size for each SPT. It also gives the SS part number for each pulley. Contact SS to see if they still carry the pulleys.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

Side note..I've been getting a insecure warning from day one when I log in to this site. How is this?
dusty wrote:Yes, it is a two man job unless the one guy there has some ingenuity.
I'm no stranger to Egyptian tactics :D
jsburger wrote:[

AFAIK there were no "pulley kits". The one in the link was just an upgrade to the original set that came with the planer stand. .
Ok Thanks. You ever try to go to Kragen Auto, and discuss V-belt/ Pulley jargon? :eek: Not cool!
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

Here's a question.
On the powerstands (not the Planer) how was the power switch (keyed type) mounted. I saw this of one mounted with what looked like a factory metal mounting bracket.
Switch 2.JPG
Switch 2.JPG (44.89 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
Any Idea where this is shown as a part # or in a diagram blow up?
Attachments
Switch.JPG
Switch.JPG (29.35 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

roneg wrote:Here's a question.
On the powerstands (not the Planer) how was the power switch (keyed type) mounted. I saw this of one mounted with what looked like a factory metal mounting bracket.Switch 2.JPG Any Idea where this is shown as a part # or in a diagram blow up?
I believe that is factory for that style switch. The part number should be in the manual for that style stand. However it will not have a parts breakout of the switch itself. Realize SS upgraded the switch to the newer style keyed switch as used on the newer head stocks.

The pictures are my band saw stand.
Attachments
20170407_150609.jpg
20170407_150609.jpg (182.99 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
20170407_150650.jpg
20170407_150650.jpg (289.5 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT