How to Assemble Tables?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: How to Assemble Tables?

Post by dusty »

Some pictures of my spare carriage lock assembly. Comments please. Other than the flat washer on the rear end, does the hardware all look to you to be correct.
Carriage Lock Assembly Mark V 003.jpg
Carriage Lock Assembly Mark V 003.jpg (556.56 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
Carriage Lock Assembly Mark V 004.jpg
Carriage Lock Assembly Mark V 004.jpg (563.11 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
Carriage Lock Assembly Mark V 005.jpg
Carriage Lock Assembly Mark V 005.jpg (564.42 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
Carriage Lock Assembly Mark V 006.jpg
Carriage Lock Assembly Mark V 006.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 4365 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well lets get you started. First off you are going to need some hardware 'cause I don't see it in your pictures. Lets start you going to this page:

http://www.shopsmith.com/service/mark/5 ... iagram.htm

You can pick one of the tables, perhaps you can identity which one was used before for this purpose. I don't see any of the hardware but at this point you can either start a list to order from shopsmith or to take to the hardware store. Basically you will need the 4 studs or similar, 8 nuts, 8 washers. But before going shopping made sure they are not taped in place somewhere or in the packing materials.........

Assembly is as simple as putting the parts together as shown and set it aside for later when you will do the alignment.

Make sure you get your toasted cheese sandwich today.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Asbrand
Gold Member

Post by Asbrand »

Heading to bed now (am a night worker). Will check when I get up, or after work in the morning.
-Az
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Also the help kit manual (online) at http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manu ... manual.pdf

has a number of helpful illustrations for 500 510 520, just scroll down and it should help a good bit I suspect.

Also check out page 5 of "Master Shopsmith Catalog 28 APR 08 lots of useful info pictures and accessories" you can find on my Google Drive (about 7MB in that file) at

Update 2/21/2018 The original direct link to the Google page moved to another location - The thread is now titled: Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More and found at https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690

also:
Downloadable Summary PDF Owners Manuals for Mark 7, 520, 510 & 505, and 500

at http://www.shopsmith.com/getting_starte ... anuals.htm

Everett
Last edited by everettdavis on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That rod and handle Dusty does not recognize is the table tilt lock.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Asbrand
Gold Member

Post by Asbrand »

More closeup pics of various parts. Looks like the extension table had the nuts and bolts:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59569302

Looks like the previous owner was nice enough to label the two sides. I assume these half-circle things (angle indicators?) go on this as well?

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=598F2B9C
-Az
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Great! Looks like the previous owner took good care to make it easier for you. Looks pretty straight forward for you at this point, just get er done.

When you put the main table together there is a $20 bill trick you will want to use. When you get to the point someone here can get you the reference.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The half circle(segments) differ slightly. The one with the movable pin(tilt stop) goes on the 'operator' side.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Shopsmith had an assembly DVD they shipped with parts like that. I don't know if there is a way to get a copy of it.