The First Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Emil
Bronze Member

Re: The First Shopsmith

Post by Emil »

I think I have come across a SS that was before the 10E and 10ER.
It was given to me by a friend who's grandfather had it. It says simply "Model ER Serial number ER22221"
Looks like it came with a wooden stand (or it came with none and someone built it)

It runs, but I'm going to restore it. Anyone know where I can get a manual? Maybe a 10E or 10Er would come close. This also has the "speed changer".
I have the Mark 510 with the new electronic headstock, and want to restore this one for my son
Attachments
Nmaeplate
Nmaeplate
4.jpg (298.32 KiB) Viewed 8405 times
IMG_20170520_193903789.jpg
IMG_20170520_193903789.jpg (275.36 KiB) Viewed 8405 times
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (426.44 KiB) Viewed 8405 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Emil wrote:I think I have come across a SS that was before the 10E and 10ER.
It was given to me by a friend who's grandfather had it. It says simply "Model ER Serial number ER22221"
Looks like it came with a wooden stand (or it came with none and someone built it)

It runs, but I'm going to restore it. Anyone know where I can get a manual? Maybe a 10E or 10Er would come close. This also has the "speed changer".
I have the Mark 510 with the new electronic headstock, and want to restore this one for my son
How did you come to that conclusion?

There was no SS before the 10E. The 10E's came out in 1947. Yours says 10ER. They came after the 10E. By the serial number it was made in March of 1950. No Model 10's came with a bench or a motor. In the beginning Magna provided a blue print for a suggested wood bench with each machine. Later they came out with a set of metal legs as an extra cost accessory and then a set of retractable castors for the legs. You had to supply your own wood for the top and assemble it yourself.

As for the manual, you need a 10ER manual. It won't be close it will be exact. They are on eBay all the time if you want an original. Otherwise there are numerous sources of a PDF copy.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Emil wrote:I think I have come across a SS that was before the 10E and 10ER.

Welcome aboard. :) That is definitely a 10er, Did you mean to say "that was before the Mark 5 and Mark 7."

It looks to be in great shape, although the speed changer seems to have a piece missing from the casting. The tailstock in the first photo is not an original Shopsmith part.

The bench is made per the blue prints that came with it when new.

You can download manuals from VintageMachinery. http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/de ... =338&tab=3

And there is a great 10e/er resource thread on this forum that should get you started. http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 972#p57972

Have fun, they are great machines,
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The miter gauge is 'unusual'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Emil
Bronze Member

Post by Emil »

I thought that because no where did it mention the number 10. Thanks for the history and the manual tips.
Emil
Bronze Member

Post by Emil »

This is a great help. Because I didn't see the number 10 in the model, I thought it was earlier than the 10er. I bought my 1st ShopSmith in 1988 for $1,999. It has been upgraded to the 520 table system, and the new digital motor.
doug888
Bronze Member

Post by doug888 »

Another interesting bit of trivia:
After I met Mr. Chambers, I had the chance to sit down with him on several occasions. Among other things, I asked him about the E in 10E...joking, I said, "I know that stood for experimental...was the because you weren't sure it would work?"
He laughed and said, "Oh we knew it would work; we just didn't know if anyone would ever buy one!"
Doug Reid
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Visit us more often Doug!!!!! :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

doug888 wrote:Another interesting bit of trivia:
After I met Mr. Chambers, I had the chance to sit down with him on several occasions. Among other things, I asked him about the E in 10E...joking, I said, "I know that stood for experimental...was the because you weren't sure it would work?"
He laughed and said, "Oh we knew it would work; we just didn't know if anyone would ever buy one!"
Doug Reid
Doug, THANK YOU!!

Which Mr Chambers did you meet?

Oh, it DOES work. And, better than the
newer versions!

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.