Power Pro Headstock disassemble & Reassemle

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Emil
Bronze Member

Power Pro Headstock disassemble & Reassemle

Post by Emil »

I purchased a new power pro headstock and kept my old one as a spare.
The digital control panel came off and is held in place by two 'wood screws'.
In order to secure it, or replace the screws with longer ones, you have to take the guts out of the headstock.

Does anyone know where I can get online documentation or a video on how to do this correctly? I can purchase them from Shopsmith, but after spending the money on the headstock, and having factory assembly issues after it got delivered, I don't feel I should pay for them. It is still under warrantee, but what a hassle to pack this up and ship it out when I can do it myself.

I've disassembled previous headstock, but this is quite a bit different in my view.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Power Pro Headstock disassemble & Reassemle

Post by everettdavis »

For a quick idea, take a look at the 3 minute video Shopsmith posts for a DIY Upgrade at http://www.shopsmith.com/shopsmithpowerpro/pp_diy.htm

It is quick, but should give you the basics of getting what you need.

Most of it is just how to remove and install, but the photos are likely helpful.

Some folks find it better for them to lock the headstock securely, raise into the drill press mode, then take the work table, tilt it 90 degrees and remove it from the carriage, and with the way tubes now up, reinsert it into the carriage assembly from the other side (bottom).

Raise the carriage with the table inserted from what would be the bottom, up to the headstock, locking well, then remove the screws etc. using the now secure table as a work surface to work from to hold the weight of the headstock.

Everett
charlese
Platinum Member

Re: Power Pro Headstock disassemble & Reassemle

Post by charlese »

Hi Emil! Because my control panel came loose, I know how it is installed. You must first remove the motor and the power supply. Then you finally have access to the back of the control panel.

Those aren't wood screws, they are screws designed to hold in plastic.

Shopsmith sent me a new control panel at no cost provided I would return the old unit.

There is special caution to not overtighten these screws into the plastic.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA