Motor bogging down

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodmeister
Gold Member

Motor bogging down

Post by woodmeister »

Have a mark v 1 1/8 hp motor. I trued it up 90 degrees to table. Blade is parallel to fence and miter. Cut a 2x4 for a test cut and it bogged down. I pushed it slower and it seemed better and no burning. I am wondering if a belt is slipping causing it to slow down? Anyone have this problem? I tried it on 3/4 plywood and still not good. Any ideas please let me know.
Thanks,
Tom
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Motor bogging down

Post by algale »

What speed did you have the speed control set to?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

where is says saw and then went even higher still have to go slow feeding the 2x4 through it.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

What tooth count blade are you using, and is it sharp? If you are ripping with a trim blade that can bog down the motor.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

ChrisNeilan wrote:What tooth count blade are you using, and is it sharp? If you are ripping with a trim blade that can bog down the motor.
Is the blade also clean?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Are you attempting a 1 1/2" or a 3 1/2" deep cut?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Counter-intuitively, when the saw bogs down, slow the speed control down in order to gain greater torque. Slow your feed rate as well to account for lower saw speed.

Assuming you have already eliminated the table and fence alignment issues (which are the usual culprits), the possibilities in no particular order are:

Dirty, damaged, or dull saw blade.

Saw blade on backwards (I've done it with a outside chipper on a stacked dado).

Arbor nut not properly tightened on blade.

Arbor not properly attached to quill (either not aligned on the flat area or set screw not adequately tightened).

Using the wrong kind of saw blade (a cross cut blade being used for ripping).

Mis-aligned upper saw guard/riving knife.

Failure to use upper saw guard/riving knife and cut closing/pinching blade.

Loose belts.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

I am wondering if I over looked the problem? It is on a long long extension cord and also had the dc3300 vac on at the same time? Drawing to much amps to maintain the power to operate at full capacity.
Thanks,
Tom
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

woodmeister wrote:I am wondering if I over looked the problem? It is on a long long extension cord and also had the dc3300 vac on at the same time? Drawing to much amps to maintain the power to operate at full capacity.
Thanks,
Tom
That's another possibility. Although I would have assumed you would have popped the breaker or blown the fuse.

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

woodmeister wrote:I am wondering if I over looked the problem? It is on a long long extension cord and also had the dc3300 vac on at the same time? Drawing to much amps to maintain the power to operate at full capacity.
Thanks,
Tom

Fer sure
! If it is long enough, the current will be limited by the cord resistance and prevent tripping the breaker.

I am guessing the wire size is small as well.(#16???)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange