Planer Replacement Table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

procrastinator
Gold Member

Planer Replacement Table

Post by procrastinator »

I have one of the original non-Pro Planer's without the cast iron table, that has served me well for the past 20 plus years. Just couldn't pass up the Thanksgiving Turkey Blowout discontinued items sale. Who wouldn't want a new cast iron table for $64, saving $425 off the regular price??? Called CS to verify it would fit my planer, and was assured it would. I expected it would have some instructions for installation, nothing! Sent emails requesting such, without any reply's. Hate to call and listen to music for a half hour waiting for the next available CS rep. Has anyone replaced one before? If so, how difficult a job should I anticipate?
procrastinator
Gold Member

Re: Planer Replacement Table

Post by procrastinator »

After I did this post I received their Christmas Warehouse Sale which has the planer table for $35! If anyone is interested in one wait for the New Year's Warehouse sale and it will probably be $15!!!
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

procrastinator wrote:After I did this post I received their Christmas Warehouse Sale which has the planer table for $35! If anyone is interested in one wait for the New Year's Warehouse sale and it will probably be $15!!!
So procrastination IS the best strategy! ;) :D
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Well, it is not an upgrade kit for the SS planer so why would you expect instructions? It is a sell off of excess inventory.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
procrastinator
Gold Member

Post by procrastinator »

Your statement is a valid one. However I recall they went to a cast iron table because ones like mine were developing cracks. That being the case, they may have made replacements available, possibly with instructions.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

procrastinator wrote:Your statement is a valid one. However I recall they went to a cast iron table because ones like mine were developing cracks. That being the case, they may have made replacements available, possibly with instructions.

I have never heard that. There were two versions of the SS planer. First came the SS mount version. It had an aluminum table to make it lighter to move it on and off the SS. At some point SS made the stand alone Pro Planer with the cast iron table. No concern about the weight so hence the superior cast iron table. SS also introduced a power stand to mount the SS mount planer on. It made the SS mount planer stand alone but did/does not make it a Pro Planer! The Pro Planer has the cast iron table and the SS mount planer still has the aluminum table when mounted on the separate power stand.

Also, the decal on the in feed shroud of the two planers are different. The Pro Planer says 12" Professional Planer and the SS mount planer says Shopsmith 12" Planer.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You got a shipping date?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange