Older Gray Scroll Saw, is it servicable still?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

P89DC
Gold Member

Older Gray Scroll Saw, is it servicable still?

Post by P89DC »

I'm looking at a older gray scroll saw (without power stand) and wonder if it's a dead end parts-wise. I don't mind upgrading but if there's parts that fail and no replacement perhaps I should pass.

I search the archives, it seems that if nothing is broken or worn out it's not a problem to get the older version.

Any advice about the gray vs turquoise version of the scroll saw?

Any tips about what should I look for when I check it out? He can connect it to a Mark 5 and show it working.

Thanks,
Eric
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Older Gray Scroll Saw, is it servicable still?

Post by dusty »

I strongly suggest that you voice your concern to Shopsmith. The scroll saw has gone through a couple design iterations that involved parts changes.

There may be some parts available while still others are not.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Most parts are available, but not all. I recently fixed up an older gray model that had a broken upper arm cover. Sold that. Bought a Teal one in great shape with the blade holder upgrades which I am about to put up for sale as I bought a Seyco scroll saw last week. The Shopsmith saw is not bad, actually pretty good, but the Seyco is an upgrade for me. I will be using it in another area of the house...
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Most parts are available, but not all....
Thanks, I think I'll take a chance on it if there's nothing glaring. He can run it for me so that and a good inspection will be enough for me. It's Shopsmith, almost everything can be fixed!
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I believe parts 'not available' can be accommodated with 'upgrade' parts. You may need to get the entire 'upgrade'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

It's clean as can be, plastic gears are virgin. Ran smoothly without excessive vibration. Basically mint condition so I bought it.

The serial number appears to be NOV 16 and some smudged out character(s) after that. The manual is marked "PL-5156 Rev 4/88. Any idea about the date of manufacture?

I'm going to order a set of extra plastic gears for it (#98 on the diagram, SS PN 515089) and the upgraded blade change kit. And some premium casters for my Mark V just 'cause ;)

Is the pinion gear metal? (#96 on the diagram, SS PN 515329)

Any other parts I should get while I can?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would not be concerned with the nylon gears.

IIRC the drive pinion is steel.

Yep looks like steel to me!
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 8334 times
Last edited by JPG on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

They're only $3.03 each, cheap insurance.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When I went to rebuild mine the only wear item that needed replacing were the bushings, something that shopsmith no longer sells. However JPG had already worked around this with some close bushings that are easy to modify and get to work. If the upper arm can be pushed side to side then those are the bearing areas responsible.

I did the upgrade for the blade system as well, well worth it to me.

As far as gears, no noticeable wear on them, if you want to replace them fine but I don't think they will ever be an issue for as long as we live.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]