alternative Bandsaw blade source

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: alternative Bandsaw blade source

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:
Well I'll be. I didn't know that Shopsmith sold bandsaw blades in any length other than 72". Learn something new everyday.
He did NOT say anything about SS blades fitting his powermatic only that he had SS blades and (he also has) non timberwolf blades for the powermatic.

I hope you had tongue in cheek Dusty! :)

Ain't the english language wonderfully contrary! :D
I'm sorry but that is what he said.

Yes, I knew that his 72" Shopsmith blades would almost certainly not fit on his Powermatic (which I think uses 93" blades) but not everyone knows that.

"I have some SS blades and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic".

"I have some SS blades for my 14" Powermatic". "I have some non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic".

I also read into what he wrote as saying that he prefers Timberwolf blades for use on both his Powermatic bandsaw and for use on his Shopsmith bandsaw and that he hardly ever uses his Shopsmith bandsaw blades. BNow that might not be what he meant but that is how one could read what he said.
What 'he' said was "I have some ss blades.

In the same sentence he also said "and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic".

He also said in the same sentence "but they mostly go unused".

Compound sentences will often lead to misinterpretation.(what was the intended meaning of the use of the word "and").

You read an unintended meaning(reasonable, but not accurate to what was intended).

Ain't english wunnerful! :D

I have some SS blades and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic but they mostly go unused.

I often misconstrue what others say, but when it does not make good sense and I then take the time to reread and try to make it make sense, the intended meaning usually reveals itself. Usually, not 'always'. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:
He did NOT say anything about SS blades fitting his powermatic only that he had SS blades and (he also has) non timberwolf blades for the powermatic.

I hope you had tongue in cheek Dusty! :)

Ain't the english language wonderfully contrary! :D
I'm sorry but that is what he said.

Yes, I knew that his 72" Shopsmith blades would almost certainly not fit on his Powermatic (which I think uses 93" blades) but not everyone knows that.

"I have some SS blades for my 14" Powermatic". "I have some non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic".

I also read into what he wrote as saying that he prefers Timberwolf blades for use on both his Powermatic bandsaw and for use on his Shopsmith bandsaw and that he hardly ever uses his Shopsmith bandsaw blades. BNow that might not be what he meant but that is how one could read what he said.
What 'he' said was "I have some ss blades.

In the same sentence he also said "and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic".

He also said in the same sentence "but they mostly go unused".

Compound sentences will often lead to misinterpretation.(what was the intended meaning of the use of the word "and").

You read an unintended meaning(reasonable, but not accurate to what was intended).

Ain't english wunnerful! :D

I have some SS blades and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic but they mostly go unused.

I often misconstrue what others say, but when it does not make good sense and I then take the time to reread and try to make it make sense, the intended meaning usually reveals itself. Usually, not 'always'. :D

I certainly don't need to clarify. You have done it for me beautifully. :) :)

To say "I have some SS blades and non Timberwolf blades for my 14" Powermatic" is redundant if I meant SS blades on the Powermatic. I was talking about both band saws after all. Could I have expressed it more clearly? I guess so but I can't anticipate how every individual on the forum reads and interprets what they have just read or not read.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If one really wants to communicate succinctly they should avoid compound sentences.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:If one really wants to communicate succinctly they should avoid compound sentences.
Or chose a more precise language. :D

I agree compound sentences are a booby trap!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:If one really wants to communicate succinctly they should avoid compound sentences.

Or me posting at 3:00 AM... :D
So, I don't sleep well most nights... My being up and on-line doesn't always mean I am fully coherent..
On the upside I don't drink. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:
JPG wrote:

Or me posting at 3:00 AM... :D
So, I don't sleep well most nights... My being up and on-line doesn't always mean I am fully coherent..
On the upside I don't drink. :)

'We' have not had that problem since WBB! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

newportcycle
Gold Member

Post by newportcycle »

Another source to consider https://customblades.com/.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Maybe almost 40 years ago I found a company at the south east corner of the old downtown Indianapolis on Virginia Ave. called Langsenkamp Saw Works. Sadly they are gone now. I think like many old businesses they just ran out of family... It was one of those almost magical places where stepping in the door transported you back about 100 years. :) It had likely been about that long since it had been painted inside. It almost made you want to turn around and look back outside to make sure the current year was still there. :) There were about a half dozen guys working there, all of them very polite, polished and knowledgeable. That knowledge was very up to date. The fairly large shop was full of grinding equipment. with a row of machines sitting and grinding saw blades mostly unattended. Now and then one of the guys would move among the machines to check progress. This was after carbide was coming into use but was not the standard blade and was still pricey. I learned over time that some of those machines were grinding new circular saw blades from steel blanks and some were reconditioning used blades. They were then doing a huge amount of sharpening work, from handsaws up to huge commercial and sawmill blades. They carried a large inventory of bandsaw blade stock in big rolls.
I was buying 3/4" skip-tooth bandsaw blades about 160" long as I recall. I would walk in and tell them what I wanted and they would pull it off of a roll and grind the ends and butt weld them and grind the weld smooth in just minutes and surprisingly casually flip them into about a triple coil. BTW, I NEVER had one of their butt welds break. Their prices were about 20% lower than anyplace else I had tried.
One of those places I really hated to see go... :rolleyes:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Asbrand
Gold Member

Post by Asbrand »

Sorry for responding on an older topic, but I just had my bandsaw blade die and need a replacement.

Looking at the Timber Wolf, and reading through this thread, I see I need a 72" +/- 1/2". On the Timber Wolf order page, I can get a 72" -OR- a 72-1/2".

So...which one should I get?

Also...looking to get into doing some re-sawing, so which depth blade should I get for that? 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", etc...?
-Az
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I would suggest that your answers are all in this link: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... blades.htm

I am very partial to the Shopsmith blades but if buying from another source buy a 72" blade.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.