Belt sander rebuild, cam lock won't

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Belt sander rebuild, cam lock won't

Post by JPG »

I be guessing broken tension spring.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rbcsaver
Silver Member

Post by rbcsaver »

Placed my online order on 2/19/2018. On 2/15/2018 "we're building each part by hand." I am an original(1981)new Mark V with many upgrade purchases since then. Now hold your breath til blue, then have a will for your' heir. By the time you get through probate, perhaps new parts from Shopsmith might arrive
rbcsaver
Silver Member

Post by rbcsaver »

I just bought my belt sander a Birthday Cake, because it is exactly one month since I placed my online order for a replacement tension knob assembly and the idler arm. I have owned my SS since new in 1981.

In one month, and many phone calls, nothing shipped, and I keep getting the same BS speeches about a failed (SS)"purchase agent, who didn't order anything," or "our suppliers can't get us the parts," and finally "everything is handmade." Then "your parts should ship, by the end of the week." (Same comments for the last two weeks.) I asked to speak with the owner and was told that "he's in the back assembling parts." I'm guessing that this person is "JPG."

Cars are assembled in hours and they can't send out simple parts in a month. Someone at SS has some honest, no BS explaining to do.
Steve
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rbcsaver wrote:I just bought my belt sander a Birthday Cake, because it is exactly one month since I placed my online order for a replacement tension knob assembly and the idler arm. I have owned my SS since new in 1981.

In one month, and many phone calls, nothing shipped, and I keep getting the same BS speeches about a failed (SS)"purchase agent, who didn't order anything," or "our suppliers can't get us the parts," and finally "everything is handmade." Then "your parts should ship, by the end of the week." (Same comments for the last two weeks.) I asked to speak with the owner and was told that "he's in the back assembling parts." I'm guessing that this person is "JPG."

Cars are assembled in hours and they can't send out simple parts in a month. Someone at SS has some honest, no BS explaining to do.
Steve
Don't I wish!

If'n I were, there would be much OJT happening. First lesson - tell the truth, no BS answers. I do not know is a better answer than BS.

Lesson two - keep promises re calling back.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rbcsaver
Silver Member

Post by rbcsaver »

I'm sorry my assumption, but they are definitely in disaray! I can't envision how this company is going to survive with poor customer service. However, I suspect cash flow is the issue.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rbcsaver wrote:I'm sorry my assumption, but they are definitely in disaray! I can't envision how this company is going to survive with poor customer service. However, I suspect cash flow is the issue.
They are in the throes of having lost several seasoned employees in the CS area due to retirement.

I fear they were a major reason for past success and maybe likely not fully appreciated until recently. I think upper management(RLF) has only recently become aware of the 'new' problems(or worsening of ongoing past problems) and last month the company under went a major effort that addressed backorders that was only 20% successful. Needless to say this month has got to be 'interesting'!

I am confident this will all work out eventually, but we need some patience. I do hope I am accurate!

Yes I am the same person who stated above that I would be doing things a bit differently.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

makerguy70
Bronze Member

Post by makerguy70 »

Hi
Greg Smith here
I've had the same issue with cam won't lock.
Disassembled, and found the off-side bushing guide had cracked. Bought a new one, but it's assymetrical, and I can't get any help from their 'customer support' people on how the thing should be reassembled. What the parts orientation should be, and if the roll pin should protrude, or be flush.
If you remember anything about your experience, I'd be grateful.
Thanks
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

makerguy70 wrote:Hi
Greg Smith here
I've had the same issue with cam won't lock.
Disassembled, and found the off-side bushing guide had cracked. Bought a new one, but it's assymetrical, and I can't get any help from their 'customer support' people on how the thing should be reassembled. What the parts orientation should be, and if the roll pin should protrude, or be flush.
If you remember anything about your experience, I'd be grateful.
Thanks
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... Tuneup.htm
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Maybe you can find something useful below.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... t8179.html
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝