Downsize No More - Now Preparing to Move In

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Downsize No More - Now Preparing to Move In

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I dont have led's in the garage yet however we did switch to them a few years back on our salt water fish tank and I will admit they were much brighter, and they last longer , as soon as I run out of bulbs for the lights we have I will be switching over. ,,note they dont put out the heat that other bulbs do so it will help keep the shop cooler in the middle of summer ,,,, congrads on the new set up and hope every thing works out as you hope .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I’ve been giving some thought to the “lights in the door” concept. Why not attach a couple neodymium (NOT CERAMIC REFRIGERATOR) magnets on the back of an LED strip light ( or two) and then epoxy some thin metal plates on the back of the garage door to hold the lights where you want them. Then they are attached to the door only when you need them and can be pulled off to be used around the shop to provide more light when wanted.
If you have a roll around tool chest, you could attach the light to the side and then move the chest into a position for more concentrated light from the side.
For concetrated lights from above, you could hang a couple three foot pieces of 1/4 by 1” steel flat bar from some light ropes or light link chains from some j hooks in the rafters. Then place two ot three light strips side by side on the flat bar directly above the work piece or work area. Very concentrated light.
To take it a step further, you could set up a grid of large washers screwed in place with wood screws on 24”spacing along each of the rafters (presuming they are on 24” centers) and if you place your magnets on the light fixture at 24” or 48”, you could easily move light around on the ceiling where ever they best fit your needs. I have some neodymium magnets with holes in the center to accept wood screws that i use for holding tools and a impact wrench. I think i would use something like that on the fixture, preferring the mechanical with threads and nuts over an epoxied attachment, but that’s just me. :rolleyes:
The lights i bought from Costco are very light and long enough for the 48” spacing, but if the strips you bought are a wee bit too short, expoying wings or extensions to the back of the fixture should give you the needed spacing. One last ones i bought can be daisy chained, therefore needing only one outlet, extension cord, power strip, etc. for a run of five.
Anyway, just a thought (that i plan to submit to a few woodworking magazines to see if i can win a prize in their tips section :D )

Be well,
Ben
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

How about some nice indirect lighting?

Mount LED fixtures to the garage-door tracks, pointing up at the underside of the open door. A white door should make a dandy reflector, as would a white ceiling when the door is closed.

The nice thing about this approach is that there are no traveling wires. Just route them along the door tracks.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I thank everyone for their inputs. This is a wait and see project. Getting settled into the new house gets top priority. Moving into the shop has been rated second on the priority list.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.