Quill, spindle and arbor issues...

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

Thanks Chuck

Post by easterngray »

Thats a good one Chuck - Thanks - I'll try it. I have put a wrench on the arbor, with the sanding disc on the aux. spindle, but haven't tried rapping the wrench. Hopefully that might be just the thing to set 'er loose. :o Thanks again - Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

In case you can't get that sucker freed up. Don't forget - everything is not lost! There is a SS sale (20% off) on replacement parts. The sale runs through March 31st. There will be a price increase on May 1st. Call their 800 number and ask for their help. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/index.htm
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
james.miller
Gold Member

Stuck arbor

Post by james.miller »

My first thought is to remove the quill from the shopsmith then try to remove the arbor from the quill so I wouldn't damage anything else in the headstock or the headstock casting. If you still can't get the arbor off you could replace the quill and arbor. If you have a single bearing quill and you can't get the arbor off you could always upgrade to the double bearing quill but it will be more expensive if it is the old gilmer drive because I think that you may have to upgrade the drive also.

Jim in Tucson
easterngray
Platinum Member

Plan two!

Post by easterngray »

Well that darn arbor would not budge off the spindle... :mad: Fortunately my good pal Frank was parting out a greenie and he kindly offered me his quill assembly. I was nervous about swapping it out, but it went in like a charm! :D . I fired her up with the new quill and shined the spindle end with a Scotchbrite pad - no rust on the new spindle now! I mounted a disc sander and the Jacob chuck on there to see how they fit - great! The chuck even makes a satisfying "pop" when I pull it off. My SS has returned to its multi-function capable old self! Now it's time for a full lube and a new belt. The old quill assembly is now sitting on my bench with a saw blade attached. I think I'll bury it in the yard!! ;)
Thanks again to all you guys for your help. I really appreciate it.
Best regards, Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
dusty
Platinum Member

Disecting a Rusted Arbor

Post by dusty »

Your not intreged enough to work on that puppy til you know why it seized?

Good work. Glad to see you operational. Good luck with the rest of your recovery effort.
rcartmetal
Gold Member

Post by rcartmetal »

Alright! Now you can take a torch to it!!! And a slide hammer!!!
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!