shorting tubes

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stickmaker
Gold Member

shorting tubes

Post by stickmaker »

I have not been on the forum for some time. I have been focused on carving canes and walking stick. I have done little other than cutting out small objects on the band saw I and sanding I have not used the SS a lot. My shop area is small and space has become an issue. I have been thinking about shorting the tubes on my 520 to gain floor space. But I want to still use my saw and one table exception. Is there a recommended length which works well? I am thinking taking off 16” to 18.”Any suggestions would be helpful. I was on the forum for some time buti could not signe in with my old name and pass word. These are some of my sticks and toppers.
Attachments
1tl.jpg
1tl.jpg (274.35 KiB) Viewed 22770 times
algale
Platinum Member

Re: shorting tubes

Post by algale »

I have no comment on cutting the tubes, but I will say that those walking sticks are absolutely beautiful!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

FIRST - the sticks are fantastic works of art and a certain indicator of yours skills as a craftsman and artist.

As for cutting the tubes - I removed 16" and have been quite pleased. However, if you intend to retain the full functionality without frustration, I suggest that you not remove more than 15".

I keep the belt sander mounted at one end of the shorty and frequently change to drill press mode. At 16", I find that I occasionally have to move the headstock and remove the drill chuck in order to transition from horizontal to vertical. That 1" would give me clearance so that I never again had that problem. Unfortunately, .......
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
stickmaker
Gold Member

Post by stickmaker »

Thank you
Randy
Simer Fi
WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
stickmaker
Gold Member

Post by stickmaker »

Thank you dusty. That is helpful.
Randy
Simer Fi
stickmaker
Gold Member

Post by stickmaker »

These are some of my other carvings. I use the SS in some form in most all the work I do.
Attachments
ABC.jpg
ABC.jpg (152.15 KiB) Viewed 22746 times
Randy
Simer Fi
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Impressive!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Dansmith wrote:Impressive!
That word is inadequate!!!

I remember your posts in the previous 'life' on this forum.

Your talent would put Mary to shame!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
stickmaker
Gold Member

Post by stickmaker »

Thank you Dansmith and JPG.
Randy
Simer Fi
drGeek
Silver Member

Post by drGeek »

Dusty,

What method did you use to cut/shorten the tubes? I have a single extra tube I would like to cut in half to make a lathe extension for my 10er. I do not have a metal cutting bandsaw, but I do have a sawzall reciprocating saw and an angle grinder...or...elbow grease...
I'd appreciate your seasoned opinion, and anyone else's too!

Thanks,
jeff