Cutting Aluminum Sheet with Carbide Blade?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Cutting Aluminum Sheet with Carbide Blade?

Post by algale »

Here's what's being built: a reflector oven for (what else) a canoe camping trip. This sits in front of a fire and bakes bread, muffins, etc. Still needs its internal shelf and some legs.
IMG_1F7027ADED80-1.jpeg
IMG_1F7027ADED80-1.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 12649 times
The aluminum, which is a little thicker than 1/16th, cut really well on the Shopsmith using a combination carbide blade. The angled cuts for the ends were done on an Incra 5000 sled. Easy peasy.

But bending the aluminum has been a bear! I had to go buy a metal brake from Harbor Freight and I'll probably never use it again. I could have bought a professionally made reflector oven for what I've got invested in the materials and tools. But where's the fun in that?

Racing the clock because I go on a 5 day canoe trip a week from this coming Monday and I'm determined to have some fresh baked goods.
Last edited by algale on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:Here's what's being built: a reflector oven for (what else) a canoe camping trip. This sits in front of a fire and bakes bread, muffins, etc. Still needs its internal shelf and some legs.

IMG_1F7027ADED80-1.jpeg

The aluminum, which is a little thicker than 1/16th, cut really well on the Shopsmith using a combination carbide blade. The angled cuts for the ends were done on an Incra 5000 sled. Easy peasy.

But bending the aluminum has been a bear! I had to go buy a metal break from Harbor Freight and I'll probably never use it again. I could have bought a professionally made reflector oven for what I've got invested in the materials and tools. But where's the fun in that?

Racing the clock because I go on a 5 day canoe trip a week from this coming Monday and I'm determined to have some fresh baked goods.
Make it watertight, add a tether, add heavy stuff on the 'bottom', and use it as a 'trailer' for the SBTN.........Good luck at the rapids! :D

P.S. two by fours a couple of c clamps and a well applied hammer against a well positioned 2x4 will also make them bends(works on steel).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote:
algale wrote:Here's what's being built: a reflector oven for (what else) a canoe camping trip. This sits in front of a fire and bakes bread, muffins, etc. Still needs its internal shelf and some legs.

IMG_1F7027ADED80-1.jpeg

But bending the aluminum has been a bear! I had to go buy a metal break from Harbor Freight and I'll probably never use it again. I could have bought a professionally made reflector oven for what I've got invested in the materials and tools. But where's the fun in that?

Make it watertight, add a tether, add heavy stuff on the 'bottom', and use it as a 'trailer' for the SBTN.........Good luck at the rapids! :D

P.S. two by fours a couple of c clamps and a well applied hammer against a well positioned 2x4 will also make them bends(works on steel).
LoL! Watertight it definitely is not.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Looks good
Funny you mentioned a brake from HF , I have 4 windows and a small amount of fascia that need replaced , I thought about doing the same thing .

Wonder how many tools they sell that only get used once ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Looks good
Funny you mentioned a brake from HF , I have 4 windows and a small amount of fascia that need replaced , I thought about doing the same thing .

Wonder how many tools they sell that only get used once ?
Probably quite a few! Some break before finishing task, some simply do not perform correctly, and some actually do what they are supposed to. ;)

Actually makes sense if no future need is anticipated. Why spend much $ for a single use?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

$15 cheaper???
temo.jpg
temo.jpg (36.76 KiB) Viewed 12561 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Well it's done. Quick and a little dirty but should get the job done. For those who haven't used one, a cooking sheet or pie tin is placed on the shelf.
IMG_FD6558F0153B-1.jpeg
IMG_FD6558F0153B-1.jpeg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 12558 times
IMG_89B642C286F3-1.jpeg
IMG_89B642C286F3-1.jpeg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 12558 times
IMG_F26DA273320F-1.jpeg
IMG_F26DA273320F-1.jpeg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 12558 times

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Apparently the 'sun room' is still 'occupied'. :D

Sheet metal work is 'different' ain't it. :rolleyes:

Ya gotterdone and will serve thee well I think. Keep those sharp edges off the SBTN finish! :eek:

Thank You for sharing(again). :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Man! You continue to do stuff in SPADES! Congratulations on the build.

Did you look at renting a break?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

charlese wrote:Man! You continue to do stuff in SPADES! Congratulations on the build.

Did you look at renting a break?
No, Charlese, I wasn't smart to think of going to the rent-a-center. I wish I had!

The Harbor Freight brake just wasn't up for the job. In fairness, I knew my aluminum sheet was at least one gauge thicker than the brake was rated for. But with some effort it handled the large, long gentle bends on the body of the oven.

But paradoxically, the short, sharp 3/4" 90 degree bends for the tabs on the side pieces and shelf it just couldn't handle. No matter how many C-clamps I applied, the work piece and the heavy metal piece that sits over the work piece just slid back.

I resorted to doing those bends in a metal vise and using brute force and a lot of hammering with a rubber mallet. All of which made for of lot of extra work to try to get things smooth and even and flat. Ultimately it worked out ok and I am reasonably pleased with the final result. But a bigger, better brake would have made the job MUCH easier.

The Shopsmith, however, performed flawlessly! If you ever need to cut aluminum, don't hesitate to use a Shopsmith carbide blade in table saw mode. I don't know what the maximum thickness is that it might handle, but it cut through 1/16th inch aluminum like nothing. Also used with great effect on this project was the Shopsmith band saw (to cut away corners on the tabs) and the belt sander on a few spots.

I've never riveted anything before. Used a Stanley pop-riveter and was surprised how simple that was to use.