Power Pro Lifeless

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Power Pro Lifeless

Post by Hobbyman2 »

It was my understanding the dealer ship .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I think if it was my truck I would explained to the dealership that they needed to get the glitch out of my truck or get someone that could. He then to escalate his complaint up the chain if they do not fix it. Dealers all want the presidents service award which are hard to get when they have customers complaining about them leaving glitches iin their vehicles. :eek:
stickmaker
Gold Member

Post by stickmaker »

I just returned to the forum. I am getting back in to wood working in addition to my wood carving. I have been thinking of upgrading my 520 to the PP. After reviewing the post I have found on the PP I thing I will stay with what I have. No problems in almost 20 years. Just kept up on basic maintenance.
Randy
Simer Fi
WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

For that kind of money It would be parked in lot some where close to the dealership few hrs a day with a sign in the window .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hobbyman2 wrote:For that kind of money It would be parked in lot some where close to the dealership few hrs a day with a sign in the window .
Or parked on main street with bags of lemons hanging from the door handles(like my wife did a loooong time ago)! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

I self installed my PP in 2010. I have turned over 100 bowls and produced over 20 band saw jewelry boxes since. The display quit showing anything except for a flash of back light every 3 seconds or so 3 years ago. I've taken the fan off the motor to blow out the speed sensor, checked and rechecked all connections, but it still won't do anything. I sent the display and power supply back to the motor ship 3 months ago. I called twice since and was told the repairman was on extended sick leave. So, that's where I'm at now. I reinstalled my standby headstock 2 years ago, which I had modified to run in both directions, and am happy with the old way of doing things. I'm hoping SS will offer some kind of discount for the bad part, what ever it is, since the replacement costs quoted to me are $500 for either the display or power supply. I didn't even ask how much it would be if it's the motor. :)
Fred Sheldon
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

fredsheldon wrote:I self installed my PP in 2010. I have turned over 100 bowls and produced over 20 band saw jewelry boxes since. The display quit showing anything except for a flash of back light every 3 seconds or so 3 years ago. I've taken the fan off the motor to blow out the speed sensor, checked and rechecked all connections, but it still won't do anything. I sent the display and power supply back to the motor ship 3 months ago. I called twice since and was told the repairman was on extended sick leave. So, that's where I'm at now. I reinstalled my standby headstock 2 years ago, which I had modified to run in both directions, and am happy with the old way of doing things. I'm hoping SS will offer some kind of discount for the bad part, what ever it is, since the replacement costs quoted to me are $500 for either the display or power supply. I didn't even ask how much it would be if it's the motor. :)
Fred Sheldon
Now that is scary!
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Ok, things are looking up now. I just got off the phone with Sue at SS and she found my display and power supply that I sent in in May for an evaluation. For whatever reason it has just been sitting in the shop. Sue has assured me that she will be sending the parts to the manufacturer for repair. Sue has assured me that the max cost to repair both components should be no more than $300. That's a lot better than the $1,000 cost of purchasing both parts new. If I can get my PP up and running for less than $300 I will be a happy camper considering how much use I have gotten out of it over the years. I will let you know the final outcome of my adventure.
Fred
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Good news. Sue just called from SS to inform me that my controller needed a board and that my parts are on their way back. They also had to do something to the display unit, they said it was flashing. SS sends all PP parts back to the manufacturer for repairs. The total cost, including shipping, is $331.00. Much better than the $1,000 if I had to purchase both parts new. I will let you know how everything works out once the parts arrive and I reinstall everything. I did not send in the motor. I hope it's ok.
Fred Sheldon
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Good news. I just reinstalled my PowerPro after receiving a repaired controller and it seems I'm back in business. My PP gave up the dust 2 years ago and I just got around to sending it in to the mother ship a couple of months ago. After a few phone calls the service department sent my parts back to the manufacture for repairs. Since I installed the PP in 2010, the repairs were on me. Total cost including shipping came to $350.00. It would have cost me $1,000 to buy a new power supply and display unit, which they said both were bad. I hope to get another good 6 years of heavy use out of it now.
Fred