Just bought a Mark 2

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jarodjohnson
Bronze Member

Just bought a Mark 2

Post by jarodjohnson »

I just bought an old Shopsmith Mark 2. I really had no idea what I was doing, but it was pretty cheap, and I figured for a drill press, table saw, and lathe, it seemed like a good deal.

It turns out, it didn't come with a lot of the parts it needs (like I said, I had no idea what I was doing). I'm trying to figure out what parts I need to get going, and if parts for the Mark V will fit on the Mark 2. It came with the drill chuck, table for the table saw, the tool rest for the lathe, and some lathe chisels.

I really just want to be able to use the table saw and start learning how to turn. I'm thinking I need an arbor for the table saw, a tailstock, faceplate and/or chuck, and a center for the lathe. Should that be enough to get me started, or am I missing something? Any other advice for someone starting out?
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Re: Just bought a Mark 2

Post by RobertTaylor »

Welcome to the forum. If you post a picture of what you have the members will tell you what you will need. Many MarkV parts will indeed work/fit. Bob
jarodjohnson
Bronze Member

Post by jarodjohnson »

Thanks Bob. Here are some pictures of what I've got
20181002_174940.jpg
20181002_174940.jpg (391.39 KiB) Viewed 27382 times
Attachments
20181002_175020.jpg
20181002_175020.jpg (347.01 KiB) Viewed 27382 times
20181002_174952.jpg
20181002_174952.jpg (309.5 KiB) Viewed 27382 times
20181002_175251.jpg
20181002_175251.jpg (333.94 KiB) Viewed 27382 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The saw function will need an arbor and a blade and a miter gauge(Mark 5/V version will work).

The lathe function will need a spur drive center, a tail center and a Mark 5/V tailstock. The Mark tailstock mount may be in a box of parts(not easily recognized). It mounts on the aux table which I cannot tell if you have. I recommend the Mark 5/V tailstock regardless.

The drill function will require some evsporust to clean up the chuck.

Welcome here!

I do not know if/of a Mark 2 blade guard.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jarodjohnson
Bronze Member

Post by jarodjohnson »

JPG wrote:The saw function will need an arbor and a blade and a miter gauge(Mark 5/V version will work).

The lathe function will need a spur drive center, a tail center and a Mark 5/V tailstock. The Mark tailstock mount may be in a box of parts(not easily recognized). It mounts on the aux table which I cannot tell if you have. I recommend the Mark 5/V tailstock regardless.

The drill function will require some evsporust to clean up the chuck.

Welcome here!

I do not know if/of a Mark 2 blade guard.
Thanks!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Below is a picture of what the Mark 2 Tailstock looks like attached to the extension table with a lathe cup center. If you do not have it than you can use JPG's suggestion of the Mark 5/V tailstock. If you do get a Mark 5/V tailstock for it make sure you get all the needed parts - Tailstock, the adjustable center and stop collars.
Mark 2 extension table/tailstock
Mark 2 extension table/tailstock
4c.jpg (166.82 KiB) Viewed 27255 times
As JPG questioned about, the saw guard I believe it was an extra accessory like it was for some reason on the early Mark 5. I am not sure about the table size of the Mark 2 but the Mark 5/V 500 blade guard show below should work as long as the Mark 2 table is not deeper than the Mark 5/V 500 table of 8" from the arbor/blade center to the back edge of the table. This guard is a later Mark 5/V Guard for 10" blades not the 9" "Greenie" blade guard.
505627 Upper and 505628 Lower Saw Blade Guards r.jpg
505627 Upper and 505628 Lower Saw Blade Guards r.jpg (175.28 KiB) Viewed 27255 times
One thing I noticed in your pictures was the belt guard. It looks like it may be a homemade replacement in which case it may be missing the speed chart label inside. This is the chart that should be there.
Speed Chart c.jpg
Speed Chart c.jpg (157.36 KiB) Viewed 27255 times
The standard 1-1/4" or 5/8" saw blade arbor will work on the Mark 2. You do not need to find the 5/8" saw blade arbor that came with it.

If you are curious about the Shopsmith Mark 2. It was made from 1958 to 1960 at Montgomery Ward’s request and sold primarily by them. It was not made to the same quality standards as the Mark V and was a lower cost alternative. It uses two 2-step pulleys to change the 7 speeds (much like the Model 10E and 10ER) and has lower quality locks to hold the headstock, carriage, etc. in place. It has an extra saw blade slot on the main table (a feature added to the Mark 5 in the 1960’s and 1970’s). Some have bench tubes while others have “C” channels to connect the bench ends together. It has a narrow step shape extension table that creates its own fence and serves as the tailstock with a small block attachment. The Mark V Headstock will fit on the Mark 2 frame. The Mark 2 can also hold and power SPT’s (Special Purpose Tools) made for the Mark 5/V's and Mark VII/7's.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jarodjohnson
Bronze Member

Post by jarodjohnson »

I couldn't find a Mark 2 tailstock to go on the extension table, so I just bought a Mark V tailstock. It looks like it comes with the center, but I'll have to check it for the stop collars.

Thank you for the speed chart! The manual said there to look inside the belt guard, but mine didn't come with one and I couldn't find one on Google.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have done some additional research on the Mark 2. First I bought one on Saturday and like most I have ever seen it is missing the belt cover. The Tailstock part for the extension is also missing but the person I purchased it from thinks he has it somewhere. On to what I have found. The Saw Blade Guard set I posted above will work on the Mark 2. The Lower Guard will require the extension to make it wider since the blade in it's original arbor (P/N 12 431) touches the outside edge of the guard. The 5/8" Universal arbor from the Model 10E & 10ER may work without the extension since the base is slightly shorter. The actual lower blade guard listed in an accessory catalog (2/15/58) has the same part number as the lower guard for the Model 10's. This guard does fit and can work with the Model 10's upper guard. The table has a threaded hole on the back side just like the Model 10's. The Upper Blade Guard (P/N 26 070) listed in the catalog has a different part number than any of the P/N's for the model 10's I have seen. The table of the Mark 2 is 16 3/4" front to back, not counting the fence rail, which is an 1 1/2" shorter than the Mark 5 but is slightly wider than the Mark 5's table. The Tables themselves look to be interchangeable but would have to be kept on their original posts. The Mark 2 has smooth posts, no teeth and locks like the Model 10's table. The Mark 2 is designed as an 8" Table Saw and the insert and extra saw blade cutout are shorter. The Mark 5 at the time was a 9" Table Saw. The Mark 2 can use the Mark 5 or V 500 Miter.

More to come later
Last edited by chapmanruss on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:I have done some additional research on the Mark 2. First I bought one on Saturday and like most I have ever seen it is missing the belt cover. The Tailstock part for the extension is also missing but the person I purchased it from thinks he has it somewhere. On to what I have found. The Saw Blade Guard set I posted above will work on the Mark 2. The Lower Guard will require the extension to make it wider since the blade in it's original arbor (P/N 12 431) touches the outside edge of the guard. The 5/8" Universal arbor from the Model 10E & 10ER may work without the extension since the base is slightly shorter. The actual lower blade guard listed in an accessory catalog (2/15/58) has the same part number as the lower guard for the Model 10's. This guard does fit and can work with the Model 10's upper guard. The table has a threaded hole on the back side just like the Model 10's. The Upper Blade Guard (P/N 26 070) listed in the catalog has a different part number than the any of the P/N's for the model 10's I have seen. The table of the Mark 2 is 16 3/4" front to back, not counting the fence rail, which is an 1 1/2" shorter than the Mark 5 but is slightly wider than the Mark 5's table. The Tables themselves look to be interchangeable but would have to be kept on their original posts. The Mark 2 has smooth posts, no teeth and locks like the Model 10's table. The Mark 2 is designed as an 8" Table Saw and the insert and extra saw blade cutout are shorter. The Mark 5 at the time was a 9" Table Saw. The Mark 2 can use the Mark 5 or V 500 Miter.

More to come later
The one or two pictures of the Model 10 lower guard I have ever seen looked like cast iron as I remember. Is the MK 2 lower guard the same? Also, why do you say it will work with the Model 10 upper guard? The upper guard does no interfere with anything under the table. :confused:

The Model 10 lower saw guard is the only thing (I think) that I don't have since I got the 4E Jointer motor pulley kit.

I have never seen a MK 2 for sale locally but if I find one with a lower saw guard should I buy it?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John asked
The one or two pictures of the Model 10 lower guard I have ever seen looked like cast iron as I remember. Is the MK 2 lower guard the same? Also, why do you say it will work with the Model 10 upper guard? The upper guard does no interfere with anything under the table. :confused:
The Model 10 Lower Guard I have is cast Aluminum I believe. Cast Iron would be heavier for the mass in the guard. Interesting the only reference I have for the Model 10 Lower Blade Guard is the November 19, 1951 Part Number conversion table. There are no pictures or part drawings on that table. I have not seen it listed in a catalog until the February 15, 1958 accessory catalog for the Mark 5 and Mark 2. It does not have a picture or drawing of it there either. Below is the Model 10 Lower Blade Guard I have which would be part number 162-1X or 12 370.
162-1X - 12 370 R c.jpg
162-1X - 12 370 R c.jpg (341.17 KiB) Viewed 26977 times
162-1X - 12 370 L c.jpg
162-1X - 12 370 L c.jpg (336.69 KiB) Viewed 26977 times
162-1X - 12 370 I c.jpg
162-1X - 12 370 I c.jpg (349.66 KiB) Viewed 26977 times
I painted it but it was gray when I received it.

As for using the Model 10 Upper Saw Guard it works because there is a threaded hole just like the Model 10's have on the back edge of the table to attach the splitter to. Using the Lower Guard listed in the 1958 catalog, if it is the same Model 10 Lower Guard, requires an independently mounted upper guard. Again there in no picture or drawing of the upper guard in the catalog. The only guard shown is the set for the Mark 5 which is a 9" guard.

If anyone has a catalog or similar source picture of the Model 10 and/or the Mark 2 Lower Saw Guard it would be nice to see.

John,
As for buying a Mark 2 if you see one for sale with a lower guard it is up to you. I would be tempted to buy it if the price was alright. The one I just bought was $35 but there is another near here for sale for $350, Big difference! As best as I can tell it does not have a lower blade guard, belt guard or the tailstock block that attaches to the extension table. One or two a year come up for sale near me on craigslist and those are all common things I see missing on them.
Russ

Mark V 520