Microsoft Virus Alert

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Microsoft Virus Alert

Post by fredsheldon »

I have been receiving a Microsoft Virus Alert the past few months. Seems it pops up while I'm on the SS site. I had the Geek Squad clean up my computer yesterday using my monthly subscription, and they said I'm ready to go. Well it popped up again this morning. It doesn't seem to be an infection on my computer, but rather attaches itself to a web site. Has anybody else received this alert while on the SS site?
Fred
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Microsoft Virus Alert

Post by dusty »

I have not had the problem but that does not say there is no potential for a virus infection. I run TrendMicro Premium so it is just possible that I have protected myself.

Have you gone on the Microsoft site to see if there is anything there about such an alert?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Microso ... fox-b-1-ab
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Insometimes get a warning that this (and other) sites are not secure. That does not mean they are hacked or unsafe, just that they are not secure. Now, somebody else can tell me just what that means!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Fred

It's a SCAM. Microsoft KNOT going to contact YOU. So if ya get a phone call,an email or a pop-up. Hangup, delete it.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Not seeing this on my computer and I don't think it is a web site issue. I would be more inclinded to believe it is an issue with your computer.

I did see some odd stuff on my tablet where they claim I have some virus and it flashes a red screen and makes this warning sound.... tracked it down to some app I had installed, need less to say that app was gone in a moment and so was the ad for the "fix" I had to have. Most of this stuff is fake news to get you to click on something and install a potentically worse threat or bloat your computer or to produce more ads for things you don't need.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

I know you have a service and you should be "up to date", but no one antivirus is 100%. So just for giggles, download Malwarebytes and do a full scan. I think you will find your issue.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Just free advice, take it for what it is worth .... :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rjent wrote:I know you have a service and you should be "up to date", but no one antivirus is 100%. So just for giggles, download Malwarebytes and do a full scan. I think you will find your issue.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Just free advice, take it for what it is worth .... :)
I run Malwarebytes Premium (paid) and ESET NOD32 Antivirus (paid) on all my computers and have never had a problem. Malwarebytes will warn you in real time about suspect links on web sites or the web site itself and disable the links. ESET NOD32 will quarantine suspect program that get downloaded with something else. They both update their databases daily and do a scan every night.

I also run Malwarebytes on my Android phone.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I get something like that too as part of the security in Firefox. Not sure how it works but some web sites are secure (encrypted ) and have certificates that are valid for a specified time and then must be renewed by the site owner. The address for such sites start with htps:/www. ..... . If the security certificate has expired, or if the site is just plain old http: it will be flagged and I have the opportunity to say whether I trust the site or not. :)

ps. I got rid of the "Microsoft Virus" years ago by switching to Linux. ;)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

But, don't you love it when the scammers scam themselves? This is an old one I got years ago and it was so good I had to keep the screenshot. Notice this is on a Linux desktop. If I had been running Windows, I might have believed it.
Oh-oh.jpg
Oh-oh.jpg (25.66 KiB) Viewed 9931 times
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Memory leaks certainly do slow down my system, :eek: but that has nothing to do with the computer. ;) :confused: :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,