New ShopSmith Owner!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

csxeng
Gold Member

Re: New ShopSmith Owner!

Post by csxeng »

Well The SPT adapters arrived and they fit great. I just have to get two more parts and I'm in business. Here are some pictures.
Attachments
SPT "A" adapter
SPT "A" adapter
IMG_2476 copy.JPG (119.06 KiB) Viewed 19616 times
SPT "A" adapter
SPT "A" adapter
IMG_2480 copy.JPG (92.28 KiB) Viewed 19616 times
SPT "A" adapter
SPT "A" adapter
IMG_2479 copy.JPG (86.82 KiB) Viewed 19616 times
SPT "A" adapter
SPT "A" adapter
IMG_2481 copy.JPG (90.89 KiB) Viewed 19616 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Is that an original Magna SPT adapter?
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

Yes it is!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Is that an original Magna SPT adapter?

Yes it is. That is the "A" adapter. That is the one you see most often. I don't know why since the MK 5 adapter kit for the 10ER was only sold as a complete kit as far as I know. It included the "A" and "B" adapters, the head stock pulley with the MK 5 SPT drive extension and mounting tubes.

The picture shows a complete kit.
Attachments
DSCF0886 (640x480).jpg
DSCF0886 (640x480).jpg (239.01 KiB) Viewed 19601 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

John,
I have all that except the headstock pulley. I even have the tube rings with set screws. I'd like to get an original head stock pulley just to keep it "real". You know what I'm saying.
Dave V.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

csxeng wrote:John,
I have all that except the headstock pulley. I even have the tube rings with set screws. I'd like to get an original head stock pulley just to keep it "real". You know what I'm saying.
Dave V.
If you look at my picture the original tubes did not have rings with set screws as are common today. The original rings were "snap rings" that fit into the groves in the posts and not adjustable. I can take closer pictures if you want.

The pulley does come up on eBay occasional but not very often. Expect to pay more than you might want to but if you want one that is the way it is.

I absolutely know what you are saying.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

John,
The original mounting tubes that were with the 620 jointer that I had recently purchased are shorter then the ones that came in the "Magna kit" that I now have. Both of the tubes sets do have the snap rings you are referring to. I guess the person just threw the lock rings in as a bonus. I'd really like to get the five inch pulley for the motor attachment. Keeping it original like the white car in the background! :D
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dave,
Your restorations are really coming along and look great. If you can get the special headstock pulley to drive the 620 Jointer that would keep it "stock" for driving the Jointer mounted on the "A" SPT adapter. The pulley and belt drive was more commonly used for the 4E (or 620) mounted on the Model 10 Jointer Headrest. The belt and pulley could run a Jointer mounted on the "A" adapter and it would not need the longer mounting posts. The 4E Jointer mounting kit with the Jointer Headrest was sold for a time after the Model 10ER was discontinued and the Mark 5 was already in production.

John commented
That is the "A" adapter. That is the one you see most often. I don't know why since the MK 5 adapter kit for the 10ER was only sold as a complete kit as far as I know. It included the "A" and "B" adapters, the head stock pulley with the MK 5 SPT drive extension and mounting tubes.
The "A" Adapter is the most commonly seen since the first kit only had it. The "B" Adapter came later. Below is the instructions for both kits. I have the complete second kit as shown in John's picture and an additional "A" adapter.
Power-Mount Adapter 11-800 01-55.pdf
(150.32 KiB) Downloaded 1953 times
Power-Mount Adapter Kit 11-920 02-56.pdf
(327.47 KiB) Downloaded 2041 times
Notice that the Jig Saw and Sprayer are the only SPT's shown for use with the first kit. They are run off the Quill instead of the Headstock Pulley end. The Jointer still needed to use the Model 10 mounting kit. As more SPT's came available the "A" and "B" adapter kit came out. The Model 10 mounting kit was discontinued. Because of their design the Jig Saw, Sprayer and later the Belt Sander could be run from the quill side. With the introduction of the Band Saw and it's need to be mounted and run on the pulley side the same as the Jointer the later kit with the "A" & "B" adapters and special headstock pulley came out.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:Dave,
Your restorations are really coming along and look great. If you can get the special headstock pulley to drive the 620 Jointer that would keep it "stock" for driving the Jointer mounted on the "A" SPT adapter. The pulley and belt drive was more commonly used for the 4E (or 620) mounted on the Model 10 Jointer Headrest. The belt and pulley could run a Jointer mounted on the "A" adapter and it would not need the longer mounting posts. The 4E Jointer mounting kit with the Jointer Headrest was sold for a time after the Model 10ER was discontinued and the Mark 5 was already in production.

John commented
That is the "A" adapter. That is the one you see most often. I don't know why since the MK 5 adapter kit for the 10ER was only sold as a complete kit as far as I know. It included the "A" and "B" adapters, the head stock pulley with the MK 5 SPT drive extension and mounting tubes.
The "A" Adapter is the most commonly seen since the first kit only had it. The "B" Adapter came later. Below is the instructions for both kits. I have the complete second kit as shown in John's picture and an additional "A" adapter.
Power-Mount Adapter 11-800 01-55.pdfPower-Mount Adapter Kit 11-920 02-56.pdf

Notice that the Jig Saw and Sprayer are the only SPT's shown for use with the first kit. They are run off the Quill instead of the Headstock Pulley end. The Jointer still needed to use the Model 10 mounting kit. As more SPT's came available the "A" and "B" adapter kit came out. The Model 10 mounting kit was discontinued. Because of their design the Jig Saw, Sprayer and later the Belt Sander could be run from the quill side. With the introduction of the Band Saw and it's need to be mounted and run on the pulley side the same as the Jointer the later kit with the "A" & "B" adapters and special headstock pulley came out.
It makes perfect sense now. I did not know that. I had never seen the "A" only manual until now.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

The height collars were included with my adapters