Introductions all around !

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

LumberJack
Bronze Member

Introductions all around !

Post by LumberJack »

My name is Jack ( yes LumberJack) . I’m in Jacksonville fla.

I’m a long time carpenter that now finds myself doing lots of work in the historic districts.

I’ve started collecting the woodworking tools I need to do wood window restorations.

Today I went to pick up my 1st shopsmith . It’s a 1953 greenie with a bandsaw. It’s not in the best of shape ( looks to have sat outside for a long time)but it does run .

I picked her up for the estimate of scrap value.

Low and behold I find myself searching out another shopsmith immediately

What the hell? Nobody warned me of this.
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Introductions all around !

Post by rpd »

Welcome aboard. :)

The combination of a quality tool that is built to last and limited public awareness of said qualities can result in irresistible deals for those of us in the know. :cool:

These threads are a good place to start for getting your greenie and bandsaw back in shape.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... t5092.html

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=3078

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... t8542.html
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
LumberJack
Bronze Member

Post by LumberJack »

Thank you Ron! I believe I may have been bitten by the bug.

I’m already feeling nostalgic about my greenie waiting to say “ my 1st shopsmith built” as I point at a cherished project
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Welcome Jack. Watch out many on here will corrupt you :D You will end up with a shop full of Shopsmith’s.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I agree. I have a "57 greenie I've had for over 35 years. Acquired a 510 last year and looking for a 10ER to play around with. These amazing tools are definitely addictive.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Welcome aboard Jack. It’s either a mania or an addiction. My wife can’t decide which !
Paul
LumberJack
Bronze Member

Post by LumberJack »

Thanks all! Well addiction it seems to be . I went out today to pick up shopsmith #2 . Appears to be a 70s model ( actual shopsmith not a Magna). It came with a shopsmith plate jointer and a Shopsmith jigsaw attachment.

The interesting thing is my Greenie came with a box O parts. Including a Magna jointer safety cover. Well.....low and behold no safety with the shopsmith jointer.

How convenient.

Anyway I’m wondering how long this current “ fix “ will last until I’m looking for my next “ score”
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

LumberJack wrote:Thanks all! Well addiction it seems to be . I went out today to pick up shopsmith #2 . Appears to be a 70s model ( actual shopsmith not a Magna). It came with a shopsmith plate jointer and a Shopsmith jigsaw attachment.

The interesting thing is my Greenie came with a box O parts. Including a Magna jointer safety cover. Well.....low and behold no safety with the shopsmith jointer.

How convenient.

Anyway I’m wondering how long this current “ fix “ will last until I’m looking for my next “ score”

Are you aware of:

Mark 2
Mark VII
SawSmith
. . . :D :D :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG, Now you are just throwing gas on the fire. And I just bought my first Mark 2 on Saturday. :D

Jack, again welcome. You will find a lot of help and support for your new addiction here. We are all fellow addicts but not looking to kick this habit. As Ron has suggested check out the links he posted. If you need a manual for your "Greenie" you can find newly restored copies in Maintenance and Repair under Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and more. Everett has done a wonderful job of restoring manuals and other documents. He has restored the first three Mark 5 manuals already and they are available for all to use.

As a point of interest the Mark 5 was not released for sale until March of 1954 and pre-sale production did not go prior to the begining of the year (based on production records). Your Serial Number could tell us more. We also like to see pictures of restorations, it helps feed our addiction.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.