Overhead Outlets

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Overhead Outlets

Post by mountainbreeze »

Has anyone here installed outlets in the ceiling of their workshop with dropdown pigtails that would allow you to plug in powered hand tools. I was thinking it may be convenient at times to not have cords on the floor - especially for something like a sander where you are moving the tool back and forth.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Overhead Outlets

Post by dusty »

It was strongly advised when I had the electrical done in my new garage shop but I resisted. I an now thinking very seriously about bringing the electrician back to give me two or three drop cords.

I am considering this even though I have eight duplex outlet boxes around the garage (about 20'x20').
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

I have four 1"x4" 45° braced boards coming down from the ceiling with a 4" box on each in a 24'x30' shop. You can plug 4 cords in each one. They are about 6 inches above my head with one in each area where I thought I wanted major tools. I also have outlets every ten feet around the perimeter of the shop with a couple extra thrown in behind the bench. The only issue I have had is sometimes you may have to reorient a tool to cut a wide board or plywood because the cord may be in the way.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Agree, or the cord is 3in too short and ya still have to use wall plugs lol

Like anything else handy to have when ya need them .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

My ceiling is pretty low - about 7.5' in the center of a 12'x24' building. I put 4 outlets in the ceiling and they are the most used outlets in my shop.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have a 2.5 ft drop cord in the center of my garage. I use it all the time. Mostly plug in my dust collector or shop vac for the ability to reach whole garage for clean up.

I find the idea of encircling the garage/workshop with outlets a waste. I want outlets by my work bench, by my stationary tools and one near my Shopsmith but to have them everywhere seems like a waste.

I use extension cords and have some in various lengths. All are 10 or 12 gauge wire and are 10ft - 25 ft long. This allows me to have electricity anywhere I need it in the garage without having a bunch of wire laying on the floor as trip hazards.
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

I have one dedicated 15 amp circuit with a 1.5' drop cord centered in my 12 x 14 shop. I use it all the time, especially for the SS.
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Do you use a twist-lock connector at the ceiling?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mountainbreeze wrote:Do you use a twist-lock connector at the ceiling?
I would recommend that. And an adapter (both directions).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I wish I thought of this when I ran my power. Would have been very handy.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe