Just Bought a Mark V

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PhilSC
Gold Member

Just Bought a Mark V

Post by PhilSC »

Hi, everyone! I just bought a Mark V from a man who got it from his father, who only used it a few times. Serial number 79288, which I think means it was a 1982 product. I worked the pinions and the tilt on the tables. I started the headstock and it ran smoothly thru the speeds. There is light rust on the way tubes, but the table and headstock do move cleanly, if a little stiff. Might be missing a few bits, but I haven't taken a complete inventory yet.
I'd appreciate ideas on the best way to remove the light rust from the way tubes, down tubes, etc.
I have some rough carpentry experience, but I'm new to woodworking. I'd also appreciate suggestions for starter projects to get my feet wet.
Thanks in advance!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Just Bought a Mark V

Post by JPG »

A picture of that 'light' rust will determine the action to be recommended.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

After considerable research, it looks like the best way to treat the light corrosion on the tubes is to clean it with crumpled aluminum foil and seal with a coat of paste was. I don’t want to risk damaging the tube plating with anything too abrasive. Anyone else done this? How well does it work? TIA!
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Welcome to the forum. Have you looked at the sticky subjects at the top of the Maintenance and Repair section? They contain a lot of information for a new owner. In the Large Format Drawings post there is a link to labeled My Google Drive. In it there is a large document on rust that may be of interest.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

PhilSC wrote:After considerable research, it looks like the best way to treat the light corrosion on the tubes is to clean it with crumpled aluminum foil and seal with a coat of paste was. I don’t want to risk damaging the tube plating with anything too abrasive. Anyone else done this? How well does it work? TIA!
Welcome to the forum.

You would have to get quite aggressive to do damage to the tubes. I use the light duty Scotch-Brite pads (dampened) to clean my tubes. Not just the Bench and Way tubes but also the table legs.

When done cleaning, I wipe them dry and put on a light coat of paste wax. I prefer Johnsons Original.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

I used green Scotchbrite on the light rust on my bench tubes and it worked fine, and pretty fast. I've heard from car guys that crumpled aluminum foil dipped in Coca Cola works on chrome - it might be worth a try.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the forum,
You stated
Serial number 79288, which I think means it was a 1982 product.
That Machine was made in January 1981. As for the rust since it is light I agree with using the Scotchbrite pads followed with waxing all of the tubes.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I've got some ScotchBrite pads, and some paste wax, so I'm going to give it a try. I also picked up some bronze wool and wet sanding paper in case that doesn't do the trick. I'm going to clean up with mineral spirits and paste wax with Johnson's Original. I'll let everyone know how it goes.