Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bigk01
Silver Member

Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone

Post by bigk01 »

A quick search of the internet I think has answered my questions, but I thought I would ask the experts.
I have a 1953, 1955 and 1984 versions of this excellent book. My questions are:
Is there an earlier version than 1953?
Is there a version that features the 1960’s MK VII?

A curious thing (to me) about the 1984 edition that I have, on the page that has the Library of Congress information, in addition to RJ DeCristoforo as author, at the bottom of the page it says:
“Text prepared and book designed by Robert Scharff & Associates, Ltd.
Robert Scharff is the author of the DeWalt RAS book “Easy Ways to Expert Woodworking “

One more question: Are there any other versions of “Fun With A Saw” besides the 1961 version?
BigK
1967 MK VII with Band Saw, 6 x 48 Belt Sander, Jointer and many small accessories
Ridgid Contractors Saw
Delta 9” RAS
2 DeWalt MBF RAS’s
14” Delta Drill Press
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone

Post by JPG »

The Mark VII version is titled "Modern Power Tool Woodworking" by RJDC

LOC 66-30741

Standard Book Number 668-01701-5

Copyright 1967 Magna American Corporation I have 1974 printing

Fawcett Publications

Distributed by Arco Publishing Co

I believe 1953 is the original PTWFE.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone

Post by chapmanruss »

The 1953 edition of PTWFE is the original and features the Model 10ER. The next is the 1955 edition which was rewritten to use the Mark 5. The following edition's date is unknown but after Shopsmith Inc. was formed in 1972. The next edition is from 1984 called the Revised Edition and the last is the 1989 Edition called the 4th edition. It may have had some changes as the listing for it here on the Shopsmith website says it is
Your resource for in-depth, how-to coverage on setting-up and using every tool and function of the Shopsmith MARK 7 and MARK V.
The Mark 7 came out in 2010 and even the Mark V 520 was later than the book. The online version still shows the Mark V 510, not the 520 or Mark 7, so it may not have changed.
A curious thing (to me) about the 1984 edition that I have, on the page that has the Library of Congress information, in addition to RJ DeCristoforo as author, at the bottom of the page it says:
“Text prepared and book designed by Robert Scharff & Associates, Ltd.
Robert Scharff is the author of the DeWalt RAS book “Easy Ways to Expert Woodworking “
They probably edited this edition of the book and made the changes it has to the previous edition.

As for Fun With a Saw I only know of the one edition copyright 1961 and it features the SawSmith RAS.

As JPG said the Mark VII version of PTWFE is Modern Power Tool Woodworking and I know of only one edition of it and I have the 1974 printing like JPG.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.