Outfeed Table

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Outfeed Table

Post by JPG »

Surely not the plastic 'cap'?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:Surely not the plastic 'cap'?

Now you are catching on. It likely won't be the final socket but it will allow the concept to make it into testing. As you well know, it is in testing where most all designs are finalized.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kkoyle
Gold Member

Post by kkoyle »

One nice benefit to my front-and-back rail outfeed table design that came in handy last weekend - when making angle cuts on long stock, I can shift the table off to the side to hold the stock where it would hang off the edge of an extension centered on the main table. Worked well!
Attachments
Offset outfeed table
Offset outfeed table
IMG_0732.JPG (431.8 KiB) Viewed 27310 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

kkoyle wrote:One nice benefit to my front-and-back rail outfeed table design that came in handy last weekend - when making angle cuts on long stock, I can shift the table off to the side to hold the stock where it would hang off the edge of an extension centered on the main table. Worked well!
Now the is right handy. I don't often did that sort of support but if I do, I don't have it with my OFT.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
kkoyle wrote:One nice benefit to my front-and-back rail outfeed table design that came in handy last weekend - when making angle cuts on long stock, I can shift the table off to the side to hold the stock where it would hang off the edge of an extension centered on the main table. Worked well!
Now the is right handy. I don't often did that sort of support but if I do, I don't have it with my OFT.
Bet you can figure out a way with a 'desocketable' ball joint.
;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:
Bet you can figure out a way with a 'desocketable' ball joint.
;)
Yes, I could mount my OFT in an offset position and support the outfeed side of the table with a third leg (telescopic leg) but the most significant feature of my OFT was to avoid that type support. The blessing here is that this offset setup will seldom be required.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

This is off topic but thought I would jump in here and show you guys my out-feed table. Unfortunately I can't tilt this old Mark VII to handle a 45 degree cut but anyway it works a little.

I think I could turn the Mark VII sideways and tilt it's table but that is a little too much trouble :D :D

Don G
Attachments
IMGP0070.JPG
IMGP0070.JPG (887.52 KiB) Viewed 27270 times
IMGP0071.JPG
IMGP0071.JPG (753.32 KiB) Viewed 27270 times
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

I just spotted your post. This is an outstanding design. That table is rock solid. Now I have an idea of the General direction I want to go. Excellent job! This would impress my father. No easy task.
Regard,
Thom Schuck
Portland, Oregon
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

All these ideas for infeed/outfeed table extensions got me to finally doing something about this. Every time I have to start with a new 4x8 sheet of plywood, I wish I had a larger work surface. So, I put together two extensions for that purpose. They can be used either as infeed or outfeed. I'll use them a few times and if I'm satisfied with them, I will likely make two more so I can put them side by side for a wider cutting surface for those large sheets of plywood. Mine are really simple and lightweight so they are easily installed and removed and can be hung on a large nail on the wall.
outfeed.jpg
outfeed.jpg (184.28 KiB) Viewed 24066 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Nice job. They might be heavier than is really needed but still a very nice job and a great addition to your Shopsmith. The outfeed table is something that I believe is needed on every machine.

I like yours but I would be lying if I did not acknowledge that I am very pleased with mine as well. The single advantage (from my point of view - biased though it is) is that there is absolutely no fuss when I need to raise or lower or tilt my outfeed table. I worked on the concept and implementation of my OFT for nearly a year. I expected one more iteration so it never received a finish (not even a wax job) but I am still using it nearly six years later.
OFT and $60 Parts 006.jpg
OFT and $60 Parts 006.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 24043 times
OFT and $60 Parts 007.jpg
OFT and $60 Parts 007.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 24043 times
OFT and $60 Parts 008.jpg
OFT and $60 Parts 008.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 24043 times
OFT and $60 Parts 009.jpg
OFT and $60 Parts 009.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 24043 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty