getting my confidence back

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

getting my confidence back

Post by wa2crk »

After spending the last year in medical hell I am finally getting back in the shop. Tried to get back earlier but I felt very weak. Felt like I was getting over a bad dose of the flu. I walked up to the table saw and had the thought "do you really think that you can do this safely?". Didn't think I could so I backed off for a little while more. Now I am back and I will be harassing the membership more often now. So this is my first large project.
overall view.jpg
overall view.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 18046 times
bottom view.jpg
bottom view.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 18046 times
interior bottom view.jpg
interior bottom view.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 18046 times
Bill V
algale
Platinum Member

Re: getting my confidence back

Post by algale »

Spectacular! Wish I could turn like that!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Beautiful!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have to assume your reluctance was due to concern for physical endurance, not innate qualification nor lack of patience nor lack of skill.

You done very GUD!!! :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Absolutely gorgeous work.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Wow !!
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

Amazing! I really like the contrasting geometric pattern.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Good Grief! That is spectacular!

It looks like you are back in form! Well done!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Algale
The real work is in the cutting of the wedges and then gluing them up into rings that are used as the layers for the form. The lathing is easy peasy after all the other stuff.
Bill V
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Beautiful...

Funny how some stuff messes with your head. :rolleyes: I'm fine now doing about anything I used to do. Cutting firewood has not been a problem but I am far more attentive when falling a tree these days. I'm just waiting to get past Xmas to fire up my little sawmill and I have no problems working on vehicles and old tractors but I do watch even closer such things as blocking, cribbing and using jacks and jack-stands. I was always a safety fanatic in such work but I find that I double check stuff even more. Some of that may be more from getting older (that keeps happening :rolleyes: ) than from the 10 years of medical problems.
One activity that I keep "talking about" but have not done yet is getting back on my old motorcycle. I had stopped riding it maybe 5 years before my 2013 quad bypass due to some other problems and about 4 years of mostly statin problems afterwards kept me from feeling comfortable at it but this spring I am ready... My bike probably isn't but I've got until spring to get it ready. It was in very good condition when I parked it but it's been sitting a decade now and it was old to start with. It will probably need the carbs all gone through. The last time I did that it took me 2 days to get all 4 of them cleaned set and balanced and right now I don't even remember exactly what I did. :rolleyes: I guess it will come back when I start on it. It will need all fluids, a battery and both tires and what ever else I find wrong...
I wasn't concerned about skills but I had so much statin muscle damage that I worried about being able to physically handle it, especially if it fell over. :o :) It isn't a huge old road bike but it's still pretty heavy. I've missed it.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill