Lathe Duplicator

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

redleg
Gold Member

Lathe Duplicator

Post by redleg »

I started making some Christmas ornaments the first week of December just prior to the Shopsmith lathe duplicator ad. So off and on over the last two weeks I made a set of 12: 6 walnut, 3 red cedar, and 3 maple for son and family in Alaska. My wife put them in the mail Friday before I got pictures (I know it didn't happen). Here are some pictures from along the way and one I made yesterday.
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG (112.02 KiB) Viewed 30246 times
The bottom template was used to turn the outside of the ornaments.
The bottom template was used to turn the outside of the ornaments.
IMG_0142.JPG (47.33 KiB) Viewed 30246 times
Stock after turning inside, rotating the four sections 180 degrees, gluing back together and removing excess stock.
Stock after turning inside, rotating the four sections 180 degrees, gluing back together and removing excess stock.
IMG_0148.JPG (115.88 KiB) Viewed 30246 times
Removing those knuckle beater corners in subsequent turnings.
Removing those knuckle beater corners in subsequent turnings.
IMG_0151.JPG (89.3 KiB) Viewed 30246 times
The first two were hand turned to get a template I liked.  The last one I turned yesterday and is like the 12 sent.
The first two were hand turned to get a template I liked. The last one I turned yesterday and is like the 12 sent.
IMG_0153.JPG (110.49 KiB) Viewed 30246 times
I turned most of them with the duplicator on the Power Pro. I have the same issue as with the bandsaw of the fluctuation in speed making noise.

I moved the duplicator to the 520 and it worked much better.

I tried doing the turning from both 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x 7 1/8" stock and four pieces of 3/4"x7 1/8" stock glued together. The 1 1/2" stock has to be cut in quarters on the bandsaw after the inside turning. The four quarters method allows you to use up smaller stock and scrap.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Lathe Duplicator

Post by wa2crk »

Hi Redleg
I have not tried inside out turning yet but your post wants to make me try it. They look really cool. Difficult??
Bill V
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

Good morning Bill, I thought actually turning an inside out ornament without the duplicator was fairly easy after the first one. I use a spot of hot glue on the end of each quarter and masking tape for the inside turning. I use polyurethane to coat the inside of the turning while it is still on the lathe.

Here's one of the many videos I watched before starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Tws4X4moI

If you're going to do several then the setup time for the duplicator may be worth it. The cutter tips for the duplicator take off so little at a time that you need to get rid of as much stock as possible on the bandsaw.

I bought a new carbide round cutter in one of the Shopsmith sales but it didn't seem to be sharp enough. I had made a round one from a bolt when I did some chess pieces a couple of years ago and that had cut much better. However the shop mice must have got away with it.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

redleg wrote: I use a spot of hot glue on the end of each quarter and masking tape for the inside turning.

Edit: I'm going to have to retract a recommendation to use hot glue. I glued up another 12 ornaments and had a real hard time getting them apart. I had to split them again with the bandsaw.

I added a generic hot glue stick from Big Lots and it worked to good especially on the red cedar. So back to a spot of Titebond, tape and leave over night.
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

Whenever I make something new to me it seems to get old before I'm finished. I have made 30 of the ornaments already so it's not new anymore. I have six more to go sometime soon.
Just hanging around
Just hanging around
IMG_0163.JPG (93.79 KiB) Viewed 29921 times
I sharpened the round carbide cutter and what a difference.
And I use to worry about a little dust from the Shopsmith table saw
And I use to worry about a little dust from the Shopsmith table saw
IMG_0165.JPG (104.73 KiB) Viewed 29921 times
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Those look amazing!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Those are beautiful ornaments ... but 36 of them? :eek: Santa needs some elves! ;)
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

Thanks Algale, I kind of like the cedar best.

Thanks, Buckeye.

Or fewer grandelves? Even Mrs. Santa disappears when the Shopsmith starts.
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

They look great!! How did you come up your design?
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

I googled inside out Christmas tree ornament for ideas, put a piece of wood on the lathe and tried a couple turnings until I found a design pleasing to my eye.