Powerpro Competitor

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mlyoung
Bronze Member

Re: Powerpro Competitor

Post by mlyoung »

FYI, this gentleman was not a traveling academy instructor!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Good Morning, Mike. Merry Christmas. Haven't seen you on the circuit for a long while now. Are you "retired"?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I saw Mike at a Lowe's demo in Layton, UT 3 or 4 weeks ago.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

He says that he is (now was?) a Shopsmith Salesman/demonstrator, working for Shopsmith. This is stated in a videohe published in 2017 his first video. So he was either an employee of Shopsmith or an outside contractor? Either way, his system gets you thinking. I stay put with my factory powerpro however...
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

First, Welcome here(again) Mike Young!

The low speed attained with a PP and speed reducer is 250/7 = 35.7 rpm.

If 'he' talked down to prospective customers as he does in his videos, it would be no surprise to me that he was a starving salesman.

As for his alternative DVR implementation, he(actually teknatool) has eliminated the most onerous negative attributes of the PP.(power off reboot for one and remote is a nice feature), but the upper speed range is not improved over the Reeves drive. It does give the low speed range a significant increase downward.

I for one do not see any advantage of his 'alternative' and do see some potential pitfalls(after sale support is highly questionable).

Come back soon and often Mike!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I think the concept of using this motor is great, but agree with JPG's view above that I would be highly concerned about after sales support. I've also avoided the PowerPro upgrade for much the same reason after seeing these threads of non-response, months to get fixed, etc.

One option that springs to mind is an open source hardware (and software if the OEM unit is programmable) project. Detailed CAD drawings and files that could be used to manually machine or CNC necessary highly unique parts (motor mounts), specifications and suggested sources for pulleys, bearings, and etc., modification templates, instructions, and so forth. Any person or company could offer parts for sale as long as they adhered to the specs, and if deviating from the specs would need to release those new drawings/files back to the project. But owners could take the same freely available specs to a local machine shop and have the same parts made locally. Many of the 3D printers that come in a hard core kit format were developed somewhat this fashion and even some of the more commercial offerings still have some hardware and/or software components that are based on open source.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I started a Separate Thread for this topic: DVR motor for a 10E / 10ER

See http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 12#p255212

This will allow us to explore that separately since this thread was for a Mark V alternative "Power Pro Competitor" topically

Skip Campbell and others have successfully retrofitted other motors for the 10E / 10ER including re-purposed treadmill motors.

Everett
mlyoung
Bronze Member

Post by mlyoung »

I'm usually too busy to visit you guys here on the forum. I am in a different city at a different Lowe's all across the country 42-45 weeks a year.
Mike
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Well, I guess that answers my question! You have not yet retired.

Are you the lone-wolf or do you now have partners that do the same?

http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/event_schedule.htm

Note that there is no reference to whom the demonstrator might be.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mlyoung
Bronze Member

Post by mlyoung »

Dusty,
I am definitely the lone wolf. From the 15 events on the SS event schedule, 11 are mine. That’s typical .
Mike