Anyone try Rockler Power Bore Drill Bits?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

Anyone try Rockler Power Bore Drill Bits?

Post by easterngray »

I thought these Rockler Power Bore drill bits looked nice and wondered if anyone had tried them or could offer any feedback on Rockler tools in general. Thanks - Alec

1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
curly57
Gold Member

Post by curly57 »

Whoa!! thats cool, how'd you do that Alec??

Curly...
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

No- Haven't tried the power bits but they look awsome!

Firstly - you must be a computer whiz!

Second - I do get some stuff at Rockler. Bought my router from them. bought several Rockler router bits (They work satisfactorily) and clamps.
Sometimes they have sales on wood and it is worth the trip to Pasadina to pick up a supply. Am on their e-mail list, but haven't found one of their "deals" other than wood that would help me.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have a special offer for you.... send me the money to buy a set and I will test them out for you and provide a feed back post for you to read... I will of course be required to keep the bits for long term testing.......

I have gotten several things from Rockler, I like to look for sales and or free shipping offers (one of free shipping deals is going on now if I recall, until the 25th on orders of $49 or more, the offer came in an email from them so I don't know if it is on the web site for just anyone).

I have a set of there brad point drill bits, got them a few years back... and they have performed well. See item: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... t%20drills
I of course have no idea how these will relate to those but it looks like the chip extractions would be better on this new set.

Ed
easterngray
Platinum Member

Rockler Bits

Post by easterngray »

I just linked the animated picture from their website... Hit the picture icon in the posting menu (the one that looks like a little mountain landscape) and enter the url of the picture. To get the url of a picture at a website, hold your curser over the picture and RIGHT click the mouse. When the menu pops up chose "properties". It will show all the picture details, including it's url. Copy and paste the url (or "location") in the message box that you are given when you hit the picture button here - voila. Rockler was the one responsible for the animated picture! Anyhow they are nice looking bits! The cost is 59.95 for 9 bits. Here's the offer: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17285 I think I'm going to give 'em a whirl. here's another picture... all the best, Alec

1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The bit resembles the old hand auger bits that had a squared or triangular tapered shaft end so they wuld fir into a hand auger. Since these bits are so agressive, I didn't think they would ever design one for a drill press. Amazing - these engineers!

But I just spent my wad at SS.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When I saw these bit I knew I had seen something like them before so I dug in a few catalogs and found what I had seen.

www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=45003&cat=1,180,42240
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... ,180,42240

Ed
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

reible wrote:When I saw these bit I knew I had seen something like them before so I dug in a few catalogs and found what I had seen.

www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=45003&cat=1,180,42240
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... ,180,42240

Ed
I notice the Rockler bits have much less surface area on the side of the bit. I don't know if it would be an issue, but it seems they would create less heat when boring deep holes.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Just got an email:
"Don't forget, this weekend ONLY Mar. 23, 24 and 25 take 20% OFF any one item at your local Rockler Woodworking and Hardware store!"

If one wanted to get a set this might be the time... if this is not just a local thing to the Chicago land area.

Ed
dimendg
Bronze Member

Post by dimendg »

easterngray wrote:I thought these Rockler Power Bore drill bits looked nice and wondered if anyone had tried them or could offer any feedback on Rockler tools in general. Thanks - Alec

I have been buying things from Rockler for several years now and have been very satisfied with there products. I got this add as well, but have not ever used this particular bit. All items I have purchased from them have always worked as advertised.