Gloves for Woodworking???

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Gloves for Woodworking???

Post by RFGuy »

There may not be anyone who needs this (but me). Still, I am posting this just in case this is helpful to someone else besides me. I have had major allergies for decades, but the last few years this has caused me to have flare-ups of eczema/dermatitis on my hands. This has made it problematic for me to do anything with my hands when it flares up, from woodworking to gardening in soil. I think I have found a solution for woodworking and I wanted to share it in case anyone else could benefit from this. How this came about is I saw a Japenese woodworker in the YouTube video linked below and he was wearing these nitrile type gloves because he has some type of dermatitis condition. I could not find his exact gloves because they are a Japanese brand and imported. After a lot of searching, I came across these nitrile coated gloves on Amazon and I am very happy with them. They are thin enough that I can still feel through the gloves, but seem to be durable enough for shop tasks. I wear them in the shop except when my hands are in/around anything spinning, e.g. sawblade, drill bit, etc. (for fear of them getting caught around it - maybe paranoid, but think of a tie getting caught in a machine). It is early, but they seem to be helping me. I hope this helps someone else. Also, if anyone has a similar, or better solution, please share as well.

https://www.amazon.com/DS-Safety-NP1001 ... 1-fkmrnull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21DFmwZtVlQ
work_gloves.jpg
work_gloves.jpg (123.5 KiB) Viewed 24501 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Gloves for Woodworking???

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I use nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight all the time. They have them in various mil thickness and are solid nitrile, no cloth. Safe to use around a saw blade as they will easily tear away if you get too close to the blade. Cheap enough too! Some woods and their sawdust are very irrtating.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I use nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight all the time. They have them in various mil thickness and are solid nitrile, no cloth. Safe to use around a saw blade as they will easily tear away if you get too close to the blade. Cheap enough too! Some woods and their sawdust are very irrtating.
Thanks Chris. Yeah, I was really close to trying solid nitrile, but I guess for some reason I wanted more of the cloth glove feel and these are breathable. I should probably try those as well to compare against these. I'll have to see how long these last. Your approach is certainly more economical and you can always grab a new pair out of the box if one tears or gets worn out.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I use the same gloves while working around my Shopsmith Chris is talking about. Unlike the gloves you are using, which I also have, these medical type gloves do not allow anything in or out. If you need gloves that breathe to avoid getting sweaty hands, stay with a good fitting size of the ones you are already using.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote:I use the same gloves while working around my Shopsmith Chris is talking about. Unlike the gloves you are using, which I also have, these medical type gloves do not allow anything in or out. If you need gloves that breathe to avoid getting sweaty hands, stay with a good fitting size of the ones you are already using.
Thanks. What mil thickness are you guys using for these in your shop? I want something thick enough to be durable and not get punctured easily handling wood, but still thin enough that I can feel through them.
📶RF Guy

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Mine fro HF are 7 mil. I think they may an even thicker one, too. They may help you but the DO NOT stop splinters.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

The only time I use gloves when woodworking is when I'm staining or finishing a project. That keeps the stain and urethane off my hands for easy cleanup. I don't have any issues with any of the woods irritating my skin, and actually like working with the oily woods like juniper and walnut as the oils help keep my skin soft.
I always keep a couple of boxes of the Harbor Freight nitrile gloves around the wood shop, the garage, and also the kitchen for dirty jobs.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote:The only time I use gloves when woodworking is when I'm staining or finishing a project. That keeps the stain and urethane off my hands for easy cleanup. I don't have any issues with any of the woods irritating my skin, and actually like working with the oily woods like juniper and walnut as the oils help keep my skin soft.
I always keep a couple of boxes of the Harbor Freight nitrile gloves around the wood shop, the garage, and also the kitchen for dirty jobs.
That is the way my wife and I do it also. Mary is allergic to lots of things but wood does not seem to bother her. She had an allergy test 8 or 9 years ago and turned up positive for almost everything they tested for. Mostly though she doesn'r react to most of them.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

We use light weight leather gloves when moving rough cut lumber , when staining or finishing the rubber gloves from HF seem to be fine for us as well .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

The one thing that I can say about the gloves that I posted is that I don't get any splinters when woodworking with them on. Unfortunately I had to start wearing something like this...not so much that I am allergic to the wood, but because of my other allergies, my hands get very irritated and break out with eczema often. Using these help. I wouldn't recommend these for finishing work though. They are breathable and the nitrile coating is on the palms, fingers, etc. but any liquid would penetrate and get around this coating.
📶RF Guy