New member with questions about my father's Shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gnuse
Gold Member

New member with questions about my father's Shopsmith

Post by gnuse »

Greetings. I am now the caretaker of a Shopsmith that I gave to my father back in the late '80s. He is suffering from Alzheimers so I am having to learn about this great tool with too much of his input. It is amazing how many pieces I just can't identify. I am attaching a photo with some yellow arrows to what appears to be an "add-on" that I don't know where it came from or what it's use might be. As you can see, it has become quite rusted. Any help appreciated. I am sure I will be returning with more questions as I am in the midst of a restoration. It suffered from the corrosive air in Florida, so I am becoming familiar with it one bolt at a time.

Thanks.

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Welcome to the Forum gnuse! I'm sure some of the folks with 500 machines will be coming to your rescue with the right answer(s). To me that looks like an outfeed support. I don't know if it is a Shopsmith part.

BTW I love the midget auto racers and your bike!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
gnuse
Gold Member

Post by gnuse »

Thanks. You know, I have this laminated table with two attachments that clamp into that back tube. It also has a support leg. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I wonder who made it? I can put it all together and photograph it if that would help.

I don't seem to find a rip fence for this saw table and I think that is important if I am ever going to use it.

BTW, what you see is a 1946 Kurtis Kraft Offy midget and a 1958 Hillegas Chevy V8 sprint car. :)
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

The first thing you should do, before turning it on. Clean out the headstock and lube it up. Wax the upper way tubes and table with paste wax.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
gnuse
Gold Member

Post by gnuse »

Thanks Bob.

Done, that made a difference!
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi gnuse,
And Image to these forums! I too, like those cars. They look like a lot of fun. It was probably your dad that made that out-feed table set-up. We SS'ers tend to make things ourselves. I wood bet that you will too. If that machine "suffered" (past tense) in the corrosive Florida air, where might it be recouperating at this time? If you decide to keep the present configuration (500 table system), rather then upgrade to an 510 or 520 table system, you will still be able to obtain a rip fence. Either on e-bay, Craig's List or buy a new one from SS. SS offers an upgraded rip fence for the 500 table system. It has a "T" slot on the top to hold accessories. SS part number 555646. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/itemfind.htm?item=555646&Submit=Find+Item
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Hi gnuse,
I have a fence for free, if you want it.
Write me privately.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
grouser
Gold Member

Post by grouser »

pkni wrote:Hi gnuse,
I have a fence for free, if you want it.
Write me privately.
That's the spirit!!! Way to go PKNI:D
Mike, Northern Ca.
:D Just an old logger trying to keep his feet covered in wood chips
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

gnuse wrote:Thanks. You know, I have this laminated table with two attachments that clamp into that back tube. It also has a support leg. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Boy! That's pretty neat! When you mentioned "a leg" made me think the support leg would fit in the middle of the outfeed table. Hope it is adjustable for length. Then you would have an outfeed table that tilts and will raise and lower with the main table.

Several guys on this forum have had thorough discussions about how to make an adjustable outfeed that moved with the main table. Even Nick Engler from the Shopsmith Academy was involved. Just think! Your DAD WAS INNOVATING WAY AHEAD OF OTHERS!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
gnuse
Gold Member

Post by gnuse »

I will mount it and take some photos. Yes the leg is adjustable.

Maybe others will know more. I know it is time to get the bead blaster back into operating service.

Thanks for all of this help. I wish my father could be a part of this.

I look forward to my first project, simple as it may be. :)