Informal Poll - Size of your Shop and how many Shopsmiths?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

P89DC
Gold Member

Re: Informal Poll - Size of your Shop and how many Shopsmiths?

Post by P89DC »

StevenAyres wrote:Mine is a small shop, a little over 250sf, and to the brownie 510 I've used for about 20 years I've just added a late Mark VII from my father-in-law, which after some restoration work I'm liking a lot so far. Its smaller footprint and reduced height in upright position are positives for my little shed.
I like my 275 squ ft shop, largest I've ever had :) I wish I had some tools with heritage such as your FIL's Mark VII. Maybe you could make your Brownie into a shorty....

And a Brownie 510 is really cool. Did you upgrade it yourself?
Prescott AZ
Home of the Ruger factory! I bought a really nice sweetheart Bailey #3 in Jerome then drove back to my house in Phoenix via Prescott back in 1989. Still have the plane...
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

P89DC wrote:Maybe you could make your Brownie into a shorty....
I've also got a set of greenie legs and tubes as well as a parted-out VII on the pile, and I'm considering conjuring a shorty from that if I can figure out how and where best to use it. A dedicated unit for the belt sander and bandsaw is conceptually attractive. But then I come back to how the SS is supposed to reduce the need for separate workstations ....
P89DC wrote:And a Brownie 510 is really cool. Did you upgrade it yourself?
I got it in stock configuration with a matching jointer, in trade for some work I did for a local hermit engineer and gear hoarder, and over the years I've added bits from ebay, including the 510 equipment and a two-bearing quill. Along with the home-improvement projects I do some luthiery and support projects for the artists in my family, like sculpture bases. Next on my list is a table upgrade for the bandsaw, and maybe a thickness-sanding jig.

I'm also looking harder at deeper maintenance issues on the brownie now because the VII runs so much quieter. I'm not clear on where the extra vibration is coming from.
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

StevenAyres wrote: I'm also looking harder at deeper maintenance issues on the brownie now because the VII runs so much quieter. I'm not clear on where the extra vibration is coming from.
Its been my experince that by the time I tear the headstock down I might as well replace all seven bearings and both belts.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

P89DC wrote:Its been my experince that by the time I tear the headstock down I might as well replace all seven bearings and both belts.
Good tip! Is there a bearing kit of some sort?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

StevenAyres wrote:
P89DC wrote:Its been my experince that by the time I tear the headstock down I might as well replace all seven bearings and both belts.
Good tip! Is there a bearing kit of some sort?
No. You just have to buy the required bearings.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

Thanks!
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

StevenAyres wrote:Good tip! Is there a bearing kit of some sort?
I bought bearings for the quill and motor from my local bearing stockist. For the idler shaft and main shaft I bought complete units off of ebay. The idler shaft is from bandsaw tire warehouse and the main shaft is a rebuilt unit from a Michigan ebay seller whose name escapes me:
Attachments
P1050345.JPG
P1050345.JPG (135.5 KiB) Viewed 18402 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Anyone know what CAD tool the shop layout below was done in? Chris Phelps posted this a few months back and I was a little slow to respond to this. I really like this shop layout tool and the woodworking library he used. I tried contacting him on PM on this forum, but it says he is no longer a member when I tried. I have used Visio and other shop layout tools in the past and never found one that I really liked. I would be curious to try the one shown here. 2D is fine what I want right now, i.e. don't want to jump into SketchUp or Fusion 360 right now. Anyone know what tool this shop layout was created in?
ShopLayout.jpg
ShopLayout.jpg (268.61 KiB) Viewed 18221 times
twistsol wrote:I have a dedicated 2 car garage so I guess I fall into the large shop category at 624 square feet 24*26. It doesn't feel like it though.

I have two Shopsmith Mark V 520's, Bandsaw, Jointer x 2.

Added an image of my shop layout. The Kubota gets parked outside when working and one of the Shopsmiths gets moved into its place. Everything in the shop is mobile except the RAS and the sheet goods storage. The layout changes frequently

The orange, green and blue lines are 8", 6", and 4" spiral steel dust colletion ducting.

twistsol_shop.jpg
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

RFGuy wrote:Anyone know what CAD tool the shop layout below was done in? Chris Phelps posted this a few months back and I was a little slow to respond to this. I really like this shop layout tool and the woodworking library he used. I tried contacting him on PM on this forum, but it says he is no longer a member when I tried. I have used Visio and other shop layout tools in the past and never found one that I really liked. I would be curious to try the one shown here. 2D is fine what I want right now, i.e. don't want to jump into SketchUp or Fusion 360 right now. Anyone know what tool this shop layout was created in?
Not sure why the site thinks I'm not longer a member. This was done in Visio 2016 with a modified shape set that originated from Harvey Chute that he gave away for free. His site is now dead. The original shapes were for Visio 97. All the non shop stuff is either standard shapes or from the Builidng Core shape set deliviered with Visio Pro.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

twistsol wrote:
RFGuy wrote:Anyone know what CAD tool the shop layout below was done in? Chris Phelps posted this a few months back and I was a little slow to respond to this. I really like this shop layout tool and the woodworking library he used. I tried contacting him on PM on this forum, but it says he is no longer a member when I tried. I have used Visio and other shop layout tools in the past and never found one that I really liked. I would be curious to try the one shown here. 2D is fine what I want right now, i.e. don't want to jump into SketchUp or Fusion 360 right now. Anyone know what tool this shop layout was created in?
Not sure why the site thinks I'm not longer a member. This was done in Visio 2016 with a modified shape set that originated from Harvey Chute that he gave away for free. His site is now dead. The original shapes were for Visio 97. All the non shop stuff is either standard shapes or from the Builidng Core shape set deliviered with Visio Pro.
Chris,

Thanks. I don't know what happened last night. I tried doing a PM straight from the message thread and said you were no longer a member. I double checked that the username was correct, etc. So, I just sent you a PM directly today and it worked. Anyway, thanks for the info. I would be interested in the palette library you have for Visio if you don't mind sharing. Much appreciated.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor