Vertex Multi-Angle Sled

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edflorence
Platinum Member

Vertex Multi-Angle Sled

Post by edflorence »

The new MLCS catalog showed up today and one of the newer products caught my eye. It is the Vertex Multi-Angle Sled which is a combination sled and holding device that lets you work on the ends of long pieces held vertically. It looks pretty handy in that it would allow you to cut end miters without tilting the table. The description says the miter bar on the sled can be adjusted to fit most miter slots. Just wondering if anyone has tried it on their shopsmith and whether it works.

Also, I seem to recall that many moons ago Shopsmith offered a similar sort of sled. Is my imagination playing tricks on me or does someone else also remember Shopsmith making a tilting sled like this?
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Re: Vertex Multi-Angle Sled

Post by moggymatt »

Dont ask me, I'm having a hard time remembering what I didn't forget these days.
Paul B
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

edflorence wrote:The new MLCS catalog showed up today and one of the newer products caught my eye. It is the Vertex Multi-Angle Sled which is a combination sled and holding device that lets you work on the ends of long pieces held vertically. It looks pretty handy in that it would allow you to cut end miters without tilting the table. The description says the miter bar on the sled can be adjusted to fit most miter slots. Just wondering if anyone has tried it on their shopsmith and whether it works.

Also, I seem to recall that many moons ago Shopsmith offered a similar sort of sled. Is my imagination playing tricks on me or does someone else also remember Shopsmith making a tilting sled like this?
SS did for the 'joint matic'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

[
JPG wrote:
edflorence wrote:The new MLCS catalog showed up today and one of the newer products caught my eye. It is the Vertex Multi-Angle Sled which is a combination sled and holding device that lets you work on the ends of long pieces held vertically. It looks pretty handy in that it would allow you to cut end miters without tilting the table. The description says the miter bar on the sled can be adjusted to fit most miter slots. Just wondering if anyone has tried it on their shopsmith and whether it works.

Good memory, JPG! On the strength of your recollection I did an image search for Joint Matic and came up with this:
SS Tilting Sled.jpg
SS Tilting Sled.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 22702 times
I wonder if this came only as part of the Joint Matic or if it could be bought alone as an accessory. It looks like it could be even handier than the Vertex sled, since it looks like it is capable of angling from 0 to about 75 or so. Although without detents or positive stops, it would take more care to set up. During the same search I also came across this picture of what appears to be a shop-made version of the same sled:
Shop built Tilting Sled.jpg
Shop built Tilting Sled.jpg (94.22 KiB) Viewed 22702 times
If anyone has made such a sled I would be interested in hearing how well it works and what benefits it offers over tilting the table.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

edflorence wrote:[
JPG wrote:

Good memory, JPG! On the strength of your recollection I did an image search for Joint Matic and came up with this:

SS Tilting Sled.jpg

I wonder if this came only as part of the Joint Matic or if it could be bought alone as an accessory. It looks like it could be even handier than the Vertex sled, since it looks like it is capable of angling from 0 to about 75 or so. Although without detents or positive stops, it would take more care to set up. During the same search I also came across this picture of what appears to be a shop-made version of the same sled:

Shop built Tilting Sled.jpg

If anyone has made such a sled I would be interested in hearing how well it works and what benefits it offers over tilting the table.
Those pictures haven't aged well. But the good news of sorts is that you can find them here, check out this post from 2008:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=2737

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

What would be cool is a single sled that would work on your bandsaw and table router. Make the initial cut on the bandsaw and then the finish cut on the router. Makes sense for me because I have a miter slot on the router table but you could probably adapt it to ride the fence. You have inspired me to look into making something like that.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

[/quote]

Those pictures haven't aged well. But the good news of sorts is that you can find them here, check out this post from 2008:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=2737

Ed[/quote]

Ed...

Thanks for pointing me to your earlier post. As usual, your photos are really clear and informative. I am not surprised to find that you have already blazed the trail on this topic!
Ed
Idaho Panhandle