Magna dado arbor

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

StevenAyres
Gold Member

Magna dado arbor

Post by StevenAyres »

Is there a correct arbor for the Magna adjustable dado to fit the Mark 5, meeting the main table slot, with the Mark 5 lower guard? Mine seem to be an inch or so too long.

I have the 510 guard, but that won't work with the 5 or VII tables. Thanks!
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Magna dado arbor

Post by garys »

If it is too long, can't you simply move the table over until the slot lines up with the blade? That's what I do and it works every time. My arbor has enough different washers that allow me to position the blade in the lower guard and the table adjustment takes care of the rest.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Steve;

The arbor you want to use for the wobble dado is the 5/8 inch molder/dado arbor, part #505506. Works perfectly on my Mk 5.

http://shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/ ... oarbor.htm
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

edflorence wrote:... part #505506.
Yeah, that's what I have. I was thinking there might be a trick one to bring the blade in closer.

Lacking that, can anyone show me a pic of the widening spacer for the Mark 5 lower guard? Looks like I have to find or make something.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Can you post a picture of your problem? That arbor should have enough movable spacers so you can line it up where it belongs.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I try not to get involved with situations where I have no experience...like Mark 5s, Greenies and Goldies but I am curious. With a standard saw blade installed and the quill fully retracted, how far is it from the left face of the saw blade to the right face of the aluminum knurled nut (on the quill shaft).

On my 510/520s this dimension is approximately 1.7". This dimension is established by the rubber bumper which I presume you do not have.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

garys wrote:That arbor should have enough movable spacers so you can line it up where it belongs.
The problem is that the arbor shaft is too long to fit the blade into the guard.
Guard problem.jpg
Guard problem.jpg (415.15 KiB) Viewed 24213 times
The Mark 5 guard fits the table system, the 510 guard doesn't. This works fine with sawblades and the early, stubby blade arbor, but not anything needing the 5/8" arbor.

The manual says widen the guard with a spacer. It looks like I'll need that.

I guess it's also possible to turn an adapter tube to push the guard out on the shaft, but that seems a little complicated.
dusty wrote:how far is it from the left face of the saw blade to the right face of the aluminum knurled nut (on the quill shaft).
It's 1/5", the minimum the arbor allows.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

There was an aluminum spacer that used to be available for that lower guard, there are pictures in this post. https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 65#p242865

The part # does not seem to be available any more, but it shouldn't be that difficult to fabricate something similar from sheet metal. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Here is an old thread about different arbors. I don't know if there is anything useful in it for you.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 19883.html
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

rpd wrote:There was an aluminum spacer that used to be available for that lower guard, there are pictures in this post. https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 65#p242865
Perfect, thanks!