Time to discuss Attachments

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Time to discuss Attachments

Post by Spooner »

With my previous Post on Restoring my father's Mark 5 he also had the Bandsaw, Scroll Saw and Jointer. Are there ways to determine the date of manufacture? Typically when old; what parts need replaced right at the start? or do they wear pretty well? On the bandsaw the rubber tires come to mind. Do those dry up and crack and go bad? Jointer blades? Replacements? Any other thoughts you might have before I begin looking into those?
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Time to discuss Attachments

Post by garys »

Yes, the rubber tires are a wear-out item. Age and use dry them out. Also bearings can have issues if the tool was mistreated in storage.
Jointer blades get dull if used. If they are dull, sharpen them.

The best advice is to start using the tools. If they need any maintenance, you find out what it is rather than shotgunning money and parts you don't need into them.
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Although the bandsaw tires are a wear and tear item, I am fortunate that my 26 year old tires are still in good shape.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Good to know guys thanks.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Spooner wrote:With my previous Post on Restoring my father's Mark 5 he also had the Bandsaw, Scroll Saw and Jointer. Are there ways to determine the date of manufacture? Typically when old; what parts need replaced right at the start? or do they wear pretty well? On the bandsaw the rubber tires come to mind. Do those dry up and crack and go bad? Jointer blades? Replacements? Any other thoughts you might have before I begin looking into those?
Tell us the serial numbers on the data plate and we probably can. You can also surf the forum (the Shopsmith page) and probably find the info there.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Dansmith wrote:Although the bandsaw tires are a wear and tear item, I am fortunate that my 26 year old tires are still in good shape.
Storage conditions probably effect them. My 25 year old tires are also fine. The BS was bought new in 1994.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I really like the urethane tires. They didn't need to be glued and work great!
BPR
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

IIRC, my bandsaw was purchased with the MKV in 1977. The tires are still in good shape.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

My BS tires started slipping, I ordered a new set from ss, while waiting on the new tires I used some auto window rubber glue / sealer / cement on them to glue them in place while I waited , that was a few years ago , my new tires are still in the package and the old ones are still working fine , one of these days I should replace them before the new can of glue goes bad lol
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

My brother hasn't climbed into all the attachments yet and gotten me pictures or an inspection perspective. Still waiting on serial numbers and condition of wheels, blades, bearings and so on.