Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: SS Double Tilt Upgrade

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:
algale wrote:
I am pretty satisfied with my alignment; I can move my rip fence from the main table to the aux table and keep alignment -- until I switch my aux table from the right side to the left side. I think it was discussed that the double tilt might cure that but that further investigation cast doubt on it.
If others have a problem using both extension tables I will not attempt to dispute that. For those who do - "It is a fact". I do not but then when I installed the Double Tilt I performed a very deliberate alignment to establish what I believed to be requisite to perfect extension table leg alignment. These four vertical posts (the extension table legs) must be perfectly positioned (with respect to one another) if one expects to move the extension tables back and forth from end-to-end.

I began this alignment with the two headrests assembled on a near perfectly level and flat surface (without the table legs). Then (with the Way Tubes installed) they too were verified to be in proper relationship to one an other. This being done all that remains is extension table alignment. For me, this routine has yielded what I wanted.
I believe it is also possible to get that with the original, but it is far more difficult. A non-level floor affects it.

JPG I am living testimony that it can be done. My Aux table goes in either end of Shopsmith and the connector tubes goes freely through table tubes.

I did mind by adjusting the Allen Screw under the headstock tube connector. After I made sure my way tubes were installed out of tension.

But I will say I was only able to accomplish this after going to the 520. The 510 would not align no matter what I did or tried.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:
If others have a problem using both extension tables I will not attempt to dispute that. For those who do - "It is a fact". I do not but then when I installed the Double Tilt I performed a very deliberate alignment to establish what I believed to be requisite to perfect extension table leg alignment. These four vertical posts (the extension table legs) must be perfectly positioned (with respect to one another) if one expects to move the extension tables back and forth from end-to-end.

I began this alignment with the two headrests assembled on a near perfectly level and flat surface (without the table legs). Then (with the Way Tubes installed) they too were verified to be in proper relationship to one an other. This being done all that remains is extension table alignment. For me, this routine has yielded what I wanted.
I believe it is also possible to get that with the original, but it is far more difficult. A non-level floor affects it.

JPG I am living testimony that it can be done. My Aux table goes in either end of Shopsmith and the connector tubes goes freely through table tubes.

I did mind by adjusting the Allen Screw under the headstock tube connector. After I made sure my way tubes were installed out of tension.

But I will say I was only able to accomplish this after going to the 520. The 510 would not align no matter what I did or tried.
Given that the differences between the 510 and the 520 are all related to the rails, do you have any idea of what makes the difference in performance?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

To be successful, the first goal is to get the two end castings aligned to each other(in the two horizontal planes) before even considering the aux table.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:To be successful, the first goal is to get the two end castings aligned to each other(in the two horizontal planes) before even considering the aux table.
Since Ed was successful when after he converted to the 520, that must have been done.

If that be the case, what is left that could prevent extension t6able alignment (interchangeability)?

The Base and Base Arm Assembly maybe????? Hmmm - Maybe a double tilt with two Headrests.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:To be successful, the first goal is to get the two end castings aligned to each other(in the two horizontal planes) before even considering the aux table.
Since Ed was successful when after he converted to the 520, that must have been done.

If that be the case, what is left that could prevent extension t6able alignment (interchangeability)?

The Base and Base Arm Assembly maybe????? Hmmm - Maybe a double tilt with two Headrests.
Ignoring possible unlevel floor issues, The headrest is the culprit with the single tilt models. That huge set screw that has been touted(BY SS) as a method to align to both sides ignores the intended purpose of that screw and also ignores the actual cause of 'the problem'.

That setscrew should ONLY be adjusted to insure the way tubes are parallel(not twisted) to the bench tubes(floor). That twist creates headrest/table rotation as they are moved left to right/vice versa.

Then the castings need to be adjusted to be parallel(spt holes to opposite end spts hole) and the castings holes equidistant between the ends.

The dual tilt castings almost guarantee that.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange