Customer Service is TERRIBLE

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Customer Service is TERRIBLE

Post by algale »

I agree that Shopsmith customer service isn't what it once was. I called, got the wait time message, which encourages you to leave a message and promises a call back within 24 hours. 48 hours later nothing.

Called again today and got a pretty quick connection to a human being who asked me to send pictures of the problem to get a claim started. We shall see what happens.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

rjent wrote:
Dusty, I gotta call BS on your opinion, just my opinion too, but there it is. I was in business for myself for far too long to recognizing an implosion taking place. Hope they fix it soon.
+1000

I stopped posting here because I got tired of being attacked by Dusty for making supposedly negative comments regarding Shopsmith. I only tried to report the good and the bad of my experiences purchasing from Shopsmith earlier this year. I am sad to see others experiencing customer service issues still, but I can certainly empathize with them given my own experiences. I sincerely hope Shopsmith takes care of you...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
godavid2
Gold Member

Post by godavid2 »

I got a call from SS this afternoon wanted to know if I had received some items and I said no. Who were they for and the rep gave me a name which was not mine and I ask what address they had and again not my address. I told the rep my address. I asked could she check on my order and she said not right now that she needed to address the problem of some missing items on the fellows order that had my name on it and that she would call me back. No call, maybe tomorrow hopefully??? I'm like if you are going to stay in business you had better get your act together (service) The problem is that there is only one place to buy SS replacement parts besides Ebay. I would rather buy from SS.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote:
rjent wrote:
Dusty, I gotta call BS on your opinion, just my opinion too, but there it is. I was in business for myself for far too long to recognizing an implosion taking place. Hope they fix it soon.
+1000

I stopped posting here because I got tired of being attacked by Dusty for making supposedly negative comments regarding Shopsmith. I only tried to report the good and the bad of my experiences purchasing from Shopsmith earlier this year. I am sad to see others experiencing customer service issues still, but I can certainly empathize with them given my own experiences. I sincerely hope Shopsmith takes care of you...
In other words, you quit posting because my "opinions of Shopsmith" are inconsistent with yours. That is sad but I sincerely apologize for hurting your feelings.

But if it will help to bring you back as an active member of the forum I promise that I will refrain but expressing opinions that differ from yours.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

I had place and order for a help kit, text book, plans. It took a month before it was shipped and bill. I was bill for the help kit and the textbook, but only received the help kit. I called shopsmith and was told that the person that looks in to this wasn’t in. She took my information and said that they look in to it and call me. I haven’t got a call yet..
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

the last time I called them they spoke English and were on top if the game, one point for me is pats are still there .it may take a while for some items but I cant say that about my skill shop and it is newer then my MKV ,JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

SkullsquadronX wrote:I had place and order for a help kit, text book, plans. It took a month before it was shipped and bill. I was bill for the help kit and the textbook, but only received the help kit. I called shopsmith and was told that the person that looks in to this wasn’t in. She took my information and said that they look in to it and call me. I haven’t got a call yet..
Call them back and be persistent. Don't let them put you off.

Be aware that Shopsmith may take your order but they do not bill you until after they ship. If they can not fill your entire order they normally do not ship unless you ask them to "ship short". If they ship short, they do not bill you for those items on back order.

You say "she" said they would call you back. Do you know "her" name. If you do - "call her back" and call her out for not responding. If you don't know her name - shame on you.

Belly aching here on the forum will provide nothing toward curing the problem.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote:
RFGuy wrote:
rjent wrote:
+1000

In other words, you quit posting because my "opinions of Shopsmith" are inconsistent with yours. That is sad but I sincerely apologize for hurting your feelings.

But if it will help to bring you back as an active member of the forum I promise that I will refrain but expressing opinions that differ from yours.
Dusty,

It is not about hurt feelings, but I just grew tired of the overly critical responses you would make to my posts. You go out of your way to help new members to the forum, but it just seemed like I was singled out for some reason. Your opinion was that I was too negative about Shopsmith and maybe you were right. However when a forum member, like myself, is giving real time feedback about the state of orders and customer service from Shopsmith I think it should be considered by the forum community (as it may impact them), rather than summarily dismissed as a "whiny new forum member" complaining about customer service. Just my 2 cents.

You have made an immense contribution to this forum over the years, so your continued involvement with the forum far, far outweighs any desire that I have to attempt to contribute here. Since I can't block your posts, I chose to remove myself from the forum so as not to be a distraction for the forum community. Only posting on this thread to implore you to take a lighter hand in your posts in the future so as not to scare off new members.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote:
dusty wrote:
RFGuy wrote:
+1000

Dusty,

It is not about hurt feelings, but I just grew tired of the overly critical responses you would make to my posts. You go out of your way to help new members to the forum, but it just seemed like I was singled out for some reason. Your opinion was that I was too negative about Shopsmith and maybe you were right. However when a forum member, like myself, is giving real time feedback about the state of orders and customer service from Shopsmith I think it should be considered by the forum community (as it may impact them), rather than summarily dismissed as a "whiny new forum member" complaining about customer service. Just my 2 cents.

You have made an immense contribution to this forum over the years, so your continued involvement with the forum far, far outweighs any desire that I have to attempt to contribute here. Since I can't block your posts, I chose to remove myself from the forum so as not to be a distraction for the forum community. Only posting on this thread to implore you to take a lighter hand in your posts in the future so as not to scare off new members.
Well said. However, I don't believe I was doing anything more that expressing opinions in any of those contentious interchanges. I try hard not to say that someone is "wrong" simply because they have opinions that differ from mine. (Except in political discussions which we don't have here, right)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Back to the original posters parts needs.

docvox you said you needed the following parts
The quadrant for my Shopsmith Magna jointer fence and the stud, spring and cap for my (kidney-shaped) cutter guard
You did not say the age of your Jointer and that could make a difference in what parts it has compared to current parts. If you received the Quadrant it should be correct. The Quadrant part itself has not changed since the original 4" Jointer Model 4E made for the Shopsmith Model 10's in the early 1950's. I had to replace the Quadrant in my Model 4E a few years ago when I restored it and used a new one from SS. As for the stud, spring and cap for the Cutter Guard there have been changes made over the years. By cap are you referring to the Knob that screws on the stud over the main guard casting? If yours is the original style than Shopsmith does not have all of those parts any longer. They changed to a bolt in place stud to require tools to remove the Guard as used on the current Feather Cutter Guard instead of it being able to be simply lifted off like the original Guard. When you speak with Jim the version of the Cutter Guard you have is important to getting the correct parts or finding a solution. The serial number will help with that and so will the manual for your Jointer for reference.

One option if you have an older Cutter Guard is to upgrade it with the Feather Guard Reto-fit kit. This will fit on any 4" Jointer back to the first one, the Model 4E. I upgraded my 4" Jointer Model 505681 made in 1979 with it and prefer it over the one it came with. This is the only Cutter Guard currently available from Shopsmith.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.