Totally an off the shelf question about air boats

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Totally an off the shelf question about air boats

Post by reible »

On my nature walk today I was near a river and saw this air boat (think that is what they are called??). It was going pretty darn fast. How fast are these things?

Video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ8zLXatft8

Didn't grow up with this sort of boat but I bet someone here did and knows about them.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Totally an off the shelf question about air boats

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Watch old reruns of Flipper. They had them to patrol the Everglades. You could navigate shallow water without fear of hitting the prop on the bottom or on whatever was floating just under the surface. They moved pretty fast.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

From what I know speed is conditional on prop size and engine size much like a regular boat. Speed is generally in the 35 max speed range but some go as fast as 135mph range. But remember they have a flat bottom, no brakes, poor directional control and are top heavy so going fast in one you better know what you are doing.
In fact starting this year in Florida you have to take classes in CPR and Airboating to be allowed to drive one.

The engine is either automotive or a plane engine with some engines going up to 600 horsepower. The air coming out the back of an air boat is in the 150 mph range and air rudders prove directional control ( not precise in any word). Also with a flat bottom the boat will skid. Skidding an air boat is great fun but if the leading edge of the boat catches something the boat being top heavy will flip fairly quickly. Here in Florida we see about 25 reportable serious accidents a year.

The county in which I live uses an airboat to clean lakes and ponds used for water retention. When you see this boat work you realize how much power an air boat can have. The one used has a under water cutting bar and a lift on the front end. I have seen it dig up and push a pile of weeds on shore that was so big a front end loader was kept busy loading it all into a Tri axle dump trailer truck.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It is a little hard to guess at speed in situations like this but I though perhaps 40mph. So it is quite possible to have been going that fast I guess.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]