ShopSmith Order filling Shortcoming.. Again!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

[quote="8iowa"]To bring things into perspective, I recently called the B&D-Delta-PC service center to obtain a saw guard for a 10" Delta compound miter saw. The rep was actually kind of indignant in telling me that parts were not available]

I think that this illustrates a great point. When I restored my MK. V I ordered a gilmer belt from Shopsmith; no problem, they had them in stock and shipped them right out, inspite of the fact that they changed from a gilmer to a Poly V belt over 45 years ago! That is top shelf service. I've waited a couple months for some backordered items and will gladly continue to do so if need be, if that is what it takes from loyal customers to help keep Shopsmith afloat. Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I have been doing some thinking, after reading the posts of this thread. Back orders are knot ideal. Knot for the customer and knot for ShopSmith. But, for now, it seems that they are inevitable. As has been pointed out by others, at least we can purchase virtually any part we need for any year Mark V ever made. Yes, I am aware of the fact that SS has announced the discontinuance of several parts for the model 500, but most parts are still available for those machines. That is way different then other manufacturers, as has also been pointed out in this and other threads! Back ordered is way better then no longer available!!! Waiting for a few days, weeks, or even months, has to be better then never.:)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Excellent thoughts, Tim!!:D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
hoagie
Gold Member

Post by hoagie »

To a point I agree with Alec and Tim. Backordered parts, especially for models that have been out of production for some time? Not a big deal. Waiting a few days/weeks/months for that one of kind bolt that was only ever made by SS for SS is perfectly understandable and acceptable. What other option is there? Junk the entire unit or try to have that special part made locally at extreme expense.

However, when one has to wait months for a backordered accessory, one that is not only still in production, but one that you ordered because SS contacted you regarding the item going on sale....well, I for one think that is pushing the bounds of consumer patience just a bit.
Hoagie - B.P.O.E. - NRA Benefactor
Mark V 520, Band Saw, Jointer, Planer, Belt Sander, Biscuit Joiner, RingMaster
Delta Dust Collector, Jet AFS
All generalizations are dangerous. Even this one.
JPG
Platinum Member

BO sale items

Post by JPG »

Has it occurred to you that the reason SS puts items on sale is to get enough "need" so as to make each less expensive due to volume purchases?? Or.. perhaps they underestimated the response and "sold out" of existing inventory. Or......something else not anticipated.

We are so used to being "coerced" into buying what the seller wants to sell that we forget how to react to someone (SS) merely wanting to fill a "need" under difficult conditions.

SS is quite unique in this day and age and we need to support them even if it is not possible for them to provide "instant gratification".

Just because an item is "currently being produced" does NOT mean they are produced every day. Production runs may be weeks or even months apart.

I climb down off soap box NOW!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

OK...:rolleyes:

I don't think there are many people on this forum that don't want to support Shopsmith.
That is why we're here in the first place.
We have an area of the forum that is provided to us by shopsmith to voice these types of concerns. The purpose behind posting a critique isn't to brow beat Shopsmith but to point out concerns.
If shopsmith didn't want to hear them this area of the forum wouldn't exist for long, (nor would our post as they would be moderated out of the threads) so while I can appreciate someone feeling defensive I feel it is a disservice to shopsmith to try and chastise members from voicing their concerns.
That is how improvement comes about.
Now I'll get off my soapbox.:D
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Does anyone have plans for a "soapbox".........finger joints?........dovetail?
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

:) Mine is just rabbeted and brad nailed.
I'm going to have to upgrade my box.:D
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
drl
Gold Member

Post by drl »

No offense intented but it was brought up--I once heard that a lot of soapboxes are made entirely with "butt" joints. FYI
Regards,
Dwight
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

drl wrote:No offense intented but it was brought up--I once heard that a lot of soapboxes are made entirely with "butt" joints. FYI
Regards,
Dwight
Yep, thats why I kept falling off my first one.:D

Remember the old Coca~Cola wooden boxes? That is almost what I imagine a soap box being like... maybe a bit taller.;)
I'd like to have a few of those around the house. Time to draw up some plans or go antiquing. LOL