Universal Tool Rest

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hfmann
Gold Member

Universal Tool Rest

Post by hfmann »

Trying to decide on getting the Universal Tool Rest. Will it accept 3rd party tool rests in the support arm?

thanks,

hal
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Re: Universal Tool Rest

Post by larryhrockisland »

hfmann wrote:Trying to decide on getting the Universal Tool Rest. Will it accept 3rd party tool rests in the support arm?

thanks,

hal
Take a look at this post. I mounted the UTR to my 10ER and I bought a 9" Robust tool rest.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 34#p258934

Merry Christmas
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

Go to bestwoodtools.com. They make a series of tool rests with a variety of posts. The 3/4 posts will fit the UTR.
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

thanks. that is helpful.

hal
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

thanks. So it sounds like any tool rest with a 3/4 inch diameter post will work?

hal
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

hfmann wrote:thanks. So it sounds like any tool rest with a 3/4 inch diameter post will work?

hal
3/4" IS the post size the bore is dimensioned to accept. Other physical features MAY affect suitability.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

JPG wrote:
Other physical features MAY affect suitability.
Thanks JPG - makes sense and I appreciate the warning.

hal
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

IF there is a 1" diameter post aftermarket tool rest that you really like, you could possibly use it on the Shopsmith universal lathe tool rest (UTR) if you remove part number 521794 (Tool Support and Shaft Assembly). It is the little swing arm that the tool rest mounts in. Without it, you would just insert the 1" post tool rest into the "Top Support" (521773) bore hole. The downside is you might not have enough articulation with the 1" diameter post tool rest without the swing arm part of the UTR. In theory, you could use either 0.75" or 1" tool rests in the UTR.
UTR_diagram_small.jpg
UTR_diagram_small.jpg (249.38 KiB) Viewed 14766 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Thanks RFGuy. Your comments and the diagram are much appreciated. Thank you.

hal
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

I have one and it will accept other tool rests as long as the post is sized correctly. If you remove the articulating arm it becomes like most every other banjo/tool rest on the market so no problem there. My regular tool rest articulating arm cracked and a friend sold me his UTR since he had switched to a Jet lathe. I still have it in case I need it, but do not like the time it requires to install and remove. It will also limit how close the head stock can be to the tail stock requiring the quill to be extended further if you are turning a short piece. Probably not a big deal for most, but I do seem to have my head stock and tail stock literally touching the carriage quite often.

A cool advantage is to remove the tool rest and clamp a carbide cutter to the articulating arm while leaving the carriage unlocked. This allows you to make a perfectly straight pass down a blank, come back and advance the cutter in further and repeat for a perfectly straight cylinder requiring no turning skill! I did this to turn a drum to make a 25" SS drum sander based on Shipwright's sander. Very important to have a true diameter on a sanding drum!