WTH is going on with ShopSmith (the company)?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Asbrand
Gold Member

WTH is going on with ShopSmith (the company)?

Post by Asbrand »

So, for years now, I've had a Mk. V from around 2006 (got it in like 2014 or 15) and signed up for the e-mails from ShopSmith. Over the years, I've ordered various accessories and parts from them, and never had a problem. Until now.

Back in early November 2019 one of their e-mails they sent out was a sale on the bandsaw fence kit. Well, I have the bandsaw, but no fence, etc. So, I ordered one.

Here it is, the end of January...and they STILL have not shipped it. Every time I send in an e-mail asking for an update...they just push out the delivery date by weeks. Now it supposedly will be shipping around February 20th. Three months? Sheesh. I understand they've cut back on production, and some stuff isn't even made until ordered. But, why on earth would you be pushing a sale on a kit that you cannot even supply?

Anyone else having these outrageous order / delivery times?
-Az
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: WTH is going on with ShopSmith (the company)?

Post by JPG »

Sadly not something 'new'.

Perhaps procurement of the fence extrusion has become a problem since it appears the 510 fence(etc.) is no longer being offered for sale. Volume issue(minimum order) may have reared it's head.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Ummmm, they're struggling to survive much as most US based manufacturing concerns due to to NAFTA and two decades of bad laws/regulations.

Either be patient or start buying Chinese stuff.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
Asbrand
Gold Member

Post by Asbrand »

Far as I know...there isn't any "Chinese" version of accessories for the ShopSmith.
-Az
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Asbrand wrote:Far as I know...there isn't any "Chinese" version of accessories for the ShopSmith.
Ever hear of total shop and Harbor freight?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Asbrand wrote:Far as I know...there isn't any "Chinese" version of accessories for the ShopSmith.
Separate chinese drill press, lathe, tablesaw, etc. You can get them with Delta, Powermatic, Grizzly stickers on them. Spare parts are hit and miss as they change factories in a race to the bottom.

I dislike the wait but it's not as if shopsmith is making money hand over fist. I always ask them what's in stock before I place my order.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I don't think Shopsmith manufactures (as opposed to assembles) much of anything these days.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Kind of makes me appreciate my sizable "parts repository". Of course the first thing to break will be something I don't have... :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

algale wrote:I don't think Shopsmith manufactures (as opposed to assembles) much of anything these days.
And your point is?....
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

P89DC wrote:
algale wrote:I don't think Shopsmith manufactures (as opposed to assembles) much of anything these days.
And your point is?....
I think it stands on it's own legs.

I believe SS did much more parts fabrication in the past than it does now.

For sure they have not in the past nor now create stuff from raw materials.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝