Possible mark V prototype?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Re: Possible mark V prototype?

Post by WileyCoyote »

Russ, I saw this on the Facebook Shopsmith Owners Board this morning. This is the oldest I have seen an actual photo of.
Attachments
1954 Greenie.jpg
1954 Greenie.jpg (259.31 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Possible mark V prototype?

Post by chapmanruss »

Glenn,

All "Greenies" were originally a Gilmer Drive. Any found that are not would have been upgraded at some point. As for yours not having a Clutched Drive Sleeve someone would have had to replace it with the older non-clutch Gilmer Drive Sleeve Assembly. I wish I had a picture of the non-clutch Gilmer Drive Sleeve Assembly to show the differences. Below is the clutched drive sleeve assembly. Note where the arrow points to. That is the end collar with a set screw that holds the clutch gears against the Gilmer Gear pulley. The non-clutched Drive Sleeve does not have a separate collar. All that is seen is the Gilmer Gear pulley with a wider smooth section and bearings on either side with the shaft showing on both ends. One additional part makes up the non-clutched Gilmer Drive Sleeve Assembly which is a retaining ring between the gear and bearing on the quill side.
Gilmer Clutch Type Drive Sleeve - arrow.jpg
Gilmer Clutch Type Drive Sleeve - arrow.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
Wiley,

Serial number 261441 to the lowest serial number I have a picture of but I have seen serial number 260407 which is the lowest one I know of.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.