Lumber Cart

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Re: Lumber Cart

Post by robinson46176 »

robinson46176 wrote:
garys wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the "best" way to store my wood. I built a fixed rack along one wall of my shop. All my plywood and sheet material gets stacked there. At another end of the shop I have an area where I put half a dozen large trash cans. Each can is labeled for a single kind of wood and all the small pieces of hardwood of each kind go into the individual can. It helps me find a specific piece because I need to look through only a single can to find what I want.
The large hardwood boards are stored out in my garage, away from the workshop. When I need one, I have to run out there and pick one out.

I'm sure there is a better way, but I don't know what it is yet. It is a work in progress.

I will tell you exactly what is the best way to store your wood... Just as soon as I figure it out... :confused: :confused: :confused: :) :rolleyes:
I have wood all over the shop, some on a rack with sheet goods space on the back and 4 shelves to the front. More is stacked in the frame of an old roll-a-way bed frame. There is a batch of sheet goods leaning against the stairway to the main floor. There are stacks in corners and stacks on the floor down one wall and a batch of short stuff along another wall. Some of this stuff is in danger of me wearing it out moving it. :rolleyes: I have wood leaning against one wall of the farm shop and another batch stacked against a wall up in the loft. I have a batch in the loft of another barn (these are farm barns, not yard barns) that sits about 100' to the east of the farm shop. I have several stacks of boards in another large barn about a quarter mile down the road to the west, those are mostly saved used boards. There is an open faced machinery shed at that location with 3 stacks of lumber there.
For some reason I can''t seem to get any time in running my sawmill but I have accumulated 30 logs waiting for it this year and more to come. :eek:
My son brought me a tri-axle load of wood from a tree trimmer a couple of weeks ago to cut up and burn in our wood furnace. Wouldn't you know that the load contained 3 nice cherry logs, 2 walnut logs and a couple of ash logs. These are short logs about 5 or 6 feet long and about 14 to 16 inches in diameter. I can't have a sawmill sitting there and burn those nice logs in the furnace... :rolleyes: :o He told me a few days ago that he will have another load for me maybe this week...
I have mixed emotions about bringing in a frozen board (It gets as cold as -20 to -25 below here occasionally but not for long periods) and using it right away... On the other hand that is what our ancestors did. I have a forming vision of building an attractive "he shed" type building about 40 feet from the outside door to my basement wood shop. I was looking inside of a common box semi-trailer not long ago and seeing it in my mind filled with wood racks down both sides and all the way up the walls leaving a nice aisle down the center. The thought got pretty exciting. :D I wouldn't want to park a semi in the back yard but a nice cottage looking building might pass muster.
My first effort is going to be a large workbench looking rack for one corner of the shop with a lot of room under the top for long boards up to about 10 to 12 feet long and with a place on the back for sheet goods. I figure the "bench top" is on its own and will just fill up with short stuff. :D I have a set of large cast iron casters with stiff rubber treads to go under it so I can swing it out to access the sheets stuff with minimum effort.

OK, The first stage is done and filling up... :cool:
It is even painted. Now comes the hard part, I have to empty the spot where it is supposed to be sitting. :rolleyes:
It is quite simple and needs to be 4 times bigger but I think it will serve my needs well as it is. It is very rigid and will stay that way. It doesn't have a single nail in it... It is all glue, screws and bolts. The rubber treaded cast iron casters are as a set rated at 1,400 pounds and roll very easy. It has more frame than shows in the picture.
It's 8' long X 42" deep X 43" tall.
The next step is the ceiling hung rack that will be above this rack. Sheet goods will be on a simple slanted platform between this rack and the wall and will just lean on the wall.
Lumber rack.jpg
Lumber rack.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
stickmaker
Gold Member

Re: Lumber Cart

Post by stickmaker »

Well done. I need to build one.
Randy
Simer Fi
WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!