SS Molding Head and Craftsman Cutters

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

SS Molding Head and Craftsman Cutters

Post by Spooner »

Are the Craftsman Molding Cutter compatible with the SS Molding Head?

Does anyone know?
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: SS Molding Head and Craftsman Cutters

Post by DLB »

Based on a sample of one of each, they are not compatible.

Question is harder than it looks. SS has an "old style" and, as you might guess, a "new style" molding head. I've determined mine is "old style." I have an older Craftsman set, 1980's time frame, and no idea if it is the only Craftsman version. My Craftsman knives are thicker, 0.155 Vs 0.130, and too thick for my SS Head.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DLB wrote:Based on a sample of one of each, they are not compatible.

Question is harder than it looks. SS has an "old style" and, as you might guess, a "new style" molding head. I've determined mine is "old style." I have an older Craftsman set, 1980's time frame, and no idea if it is the only Craftsman version. My Craftsman knives are thicker, 0.155 Vs 0.130, and too thick for my SS Head.

- David
Actually there are three oldest(aluminum[IIRC screw retainer]), old (blox with ball retainer), new(???)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Good to know. Thanks guys.

DLB... Which is better. SS or Craftsman?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I like the SS Old, but also don't know anything about SS New, and did not know there was an Oldest. Comparing SS Old to my Craftsman, I like the SS much better. The SS ball mount seems more precise, and the head itself has more mass in a smaller diameter, which I think minimizes vibration. The Craftsman diameter is 7 inches compared to 5 for the SS. The Craftsman would fit on more types/brands of saws. It specifically lists RAS, which is intriguing but a bit scary.

Edit: I bought the Craftsman set to use on my Greenie, and that is the only thing I've ever used it on. The SS set came with a used 520 and that is the only thing... Some of my preference is no doubt attributable to the 520 Table/Fence.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As has already been said there is more than just the old and new style heads. The first was the Aluminum Molder Head and Magna Engineering made two versions. One originally for the Shopsmith Model 10's (P/N 12 375) with a set screw to directly attach it to the Spindle. The other without the set screw requiring an arbor or like arrangement to use it and was made for the Montgomery Ward PowrCraft line. This was replaced by the Pro Molding Head (again P/N 12 375) made out of steel with cutouts for the set screws that push a ball bearing to center and lock the blade. Later the part number for the Pro Molding Head changed to 505553 when all part numbers changed in 1964. A black coated version of the Pro Molder Head came out before Shopsmith Inc. continued to make this Molder Head (P/N 505553) without the cutouts at the set screws until September 2011. There was also a different style Molder Head for the Sawsmith. All of these Molder Heads can use the older cutters. The new SS Molder Head (556213) uses different thickness cutters and the head itself no longer has a set screw for direct attachment to the spindle. It must use an arbor and an arbor is required on even the old heads to use on the model 510/505/520/M7 with the lower guard in place.

The Craftsman Molder sets I have do have a thicker overall knife with a machined strip down the middle for inserting/aligning the knives in the narrower Molder Head.

I do not have the new Molder Head to check if Craftsman knives will fit in it and it is unlikely I will get one. I have enough of all the older heads and knives plus Molder/Dado Arbors to last as long as I am able to make sawdust.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Can anyone tell me if this is the newer head or the older head?
Attachments
IMG_0465 Reduced Cropped.png
IMG_0465 Reduced Cropped.png (273.87 KiB) Viewed 13081 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I cannot say with certainty because I have not determined the difference. I used an unscientific method for determining mine was old: When I bought it it came with cutters, most still packaged. The P/N's for the packaged cutters were old. Leap of faith that it was all bought together inserted here .
Yours looks like mine in terms of marking and does not look like the "new" one shown on line. Still not definitive.
According to the instructions on line the new one retains the ball mount method.

Finally found this: "What is the difference between the old style and new style molder knives.

In July 2011 our newer Molder head was introduced. The knives for the new Molder head are thicker that the Molder head knives we have had for years before that. Also, a note on the Molder Knives, old ones are 1/8" thick and new ones are 5/32" thick."
Here:
https://www.shopsmith.com/mediawiki/index.php/Molding

So I think the answer is to measure the slots in the head.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

All the older style Shopsmith/Magna Molder Heads have a set screw to attach it directly to the Spindle. I do not believe the new one has that and requires an arbor for use. From the picture (shown below) in the online catalog the new head has three holes through the face of it. None of the previous Molder Heads have those holes.
molder head-new.jpg
molder head-new.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 13047 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The one I have, which I think is 'old' and the same as the one in Spooner's picture, has no holes but does have an arbor (505506). Like the one pictured, mine is labeled 'Shopsmith, Inc.' I've measured it and the slots are exactly 0.125. Today I found the pamphlet, it identifies the part as 505553. The pamphlet is dated 9/78. Russ is correct, according to the pamphlet it can be spindle mounted or arbor mounted. That would not have occurred to me, the set screw for spindle mount is larger than those we are used to and it was already arbor mounted when I got it. (This arbor fits the Molder head and the Dado.)

IIRC, you can use the 510/520 lower saw guard if you arbor mount this. For sure, not if you spindle mount it. If you want me to confirm just let me know. The manual (remember, 1978...) doesn't say. Probably good for >99% improvement in shaving/dust control.

-David