Australian 10E serial No 899

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Australian 10E serial No 899

Post by JPG »

Blimey!!!! :eek:

He has a LOWER blade guard!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

I do not recognize the arbor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Welcome aboard Dave. :)
Thank you for sharing, those old ads are great,

The part that fits on the quill looks like a lower saw guard/sawdust chute (no dust collection then). ;) 10E/ER's take a maximum 8" saw blade.
They were offered as an optional accessory in North America, and are rarely found, so apparently few were sold. I have only seen pictures.

The casting on yours looks a bit different, so that may be a made in Australia accessory.

The "router chuck" part looks like a universal arbor, they originally came with three spacers, two thin and one thick.
10erarbor1.JPG
10erarbor1.JPG (162.48 KiB) Viewed 10160 times
In use only two would be used and often the third one would get miss placed. It looks like the thick one on yours was misplaced and some one made a wooden spacer. For use with the saw blade it would normally be used with one thick and one thin.
10erarbor3.JPG
10erarbor3.JPG (176.85 KiB) Viewed 10160 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dave, you asked
I am not sure what the blue metal guard is for but it fits around the front of the quill. Do you know?
It look like a lower blade guard. Can it be used with an 8" saw blade. That guard is different than the one sold as an option in the US. Below is a picture of mine.
162-1X - 12 370 R r.jpg
162-1X - 12 370 R r.jpg (216.97 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
Your drum sander looks like the rubber sleeve has seen better days. The good news is you can buy a replacement as the Drum Sander has not changed since the time yours was made except the set screw size provided it is the same casting as the US ones.

Looks like Ron and others beat me with some answers while I was typing.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
timoradventures
Silver Member

Post by timoradventures »

Hi Ron
Thanks for the information about the lower saw guard, I never thought about that but it makes complete sense now. I'll take some more photos and post them so you can see if there are any differences
Also thanks for the information about the universal arbour. I noticed it had a wooden spacer and that explains why.
I'll take a photo of the arbour on the saw and post it.

It is great to have a forum like this with access to so much knowledge and experience.

Dave
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Thank you so much for that research in Australian advertising.

Love the photos. That lower blade guard is a rare accessory by everything I have found.

Sadly Mr. Stevens grandfather passed away and now I have been informed that George has passed away due to natural causes.

He did not have the Corona Virus they confirmed.

If you would be so kind, I know that you likely had to resize your scans or captures of ads to post in the forums.

If you don’t mind and would be so kind, would you email full size images to ShopsmithHistorian@gmail.com and I will present them with photo credits under a new folder Australian Shopsmiths that I will create.

Thank you so much

Everett
timoradventures
Silver Member

Thanks for the information. I fitted the lower saw guard today.
When I first fitted it the saw blade could align with the slot in the saw table as the table raising arm hit the lower saw guard.
The table raising adjustment screw was fully extended. Once I reduced this to about half it's length the table was able to move and the saw fitted into the slot.
Attachments
Lower guard fitted without table
Lower guard fitted without table
Lower saw guard.jpg (60.81 KiB) Viewed 10126 times
The lower guard blocked by adjuster
The lower guard blocked by adjuster
Guards stops alignment if adjuster is fully extended.jpg (66.25 KiB) Viewed 10126 times
Blade cannot clear saw slot
Blade cannot clear saw slot
Blade-cant-clear-saw-table-hole (1).jpg (58.14 KiB) Viewed 10126 times
Clearance lowered and low guard operational
Clearance lowered and low guard operational
Fine if adjuster is lowered.jpg (370.93 KiB) Viewed 10126 times
Table saw with extension
Table saw with extension
Saw table and extension.jpg (76.48 KiB) Viewed 10126 times
timoradventures
Silver Member

Hi Everett
Yes, I resized the images to post them. I'll email you the images.
Where do you keep all your historical information?

Regards

Dave
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

timoradventures wrote:Hi Everett
Yes, I resized the images to post them. I'll email you the images.
Where do you keep all your historical information?

Regards

Dave
To see Everett's files.
Click this link, - in the first post click on the red "My Google Drive" and have fun exploring. :)
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690

I have put together a file with links to many online resources for the 10E/ER's
Shopsmith 10ER Resources.pdf
(28.4 KiB) Downloaded 942 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
timoradventures
Silver Member

Thanks Ron

Regards

Dave
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Which time zone are you in? Helps me to understand when you will not be online.

UST/GMT +??
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange