Model 10E for sale

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chace
Bronze Member

Re: Model 10E for sale

Post by chace »

hey I've got a model 10 e SN 1272 does that mean it is a pretty early model?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Yes, we believe that the production serial numbers started with 1001. The first 250 Model 10E's made were shipped to West Coast Montgomery Ward stores November 15, 1947. The lowest serial number reported is 1032 on Skip Campbell's survey and I had seen 1036. This does not count the 10ER's made in Australia which had their own set of serial numbers that started lower but were made later in the early 1950's. Your's at S/N 1272 was made soon after the original shipment. I would love to see some detailed pictures of yours and it's accessories to compare to mine. They should be the same as long as it has it's original parts. Over the years many have had parts replaced with parts from different Model 10's and later versions or vice versa. The Model 10E and 10ER had many changes to a lot of it's parts during it production. Some remained the same the entire time. Two are still in use today in the Mark V and Mark 7.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

chapmanruss wrote:Two are still in use today in the Mark V and Mark 7.
What are those two parts, Russ?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:Two are still in use today in the Mark V and Mark 7.
What are those two parts, Russ?
Lathe centers?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I believe he meant "in manufacturing the Mark V and Mark 7"
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chace
Bronze Member

Post by chace »

chapmanruss wrote:Yes, we believe that the production serial numbers started with 1001. The first 250 Model 10E's made were shipped to West Coast Montgomery Ward stores November 15, 1947. The lowest serial number reported is 1032 on Skip Campbell's survey and I had seen 1036. This does not count the 10ER's made in Australia which had their own set of serial numbers that started lower but were made later in the early 1950's. Your's at S/N 1272 was made soon after the original shipment. I would love to see some detailed pictures of yours and it's accessories to compare to mine. They should be the same as long as it has it's original parts. Over the years many have had parts replaced with parts from different Model 10's and later versions or vice versa. The Model 10E and 10ER had many changes to a lot of it's parts during it production. Some remained the same the entire time. Two are still in use today in the Mark V and Mark 7.

no worries I do belive mine was one of the Australian models as i am also in Australia. When I got the shop Smith I was told it was made in the 1950's.
I'll get some photos for you this arvo how ever one pice is missing at the moment being repaired. an aluminium pice around the table saw was split in half so I've sent it to be repaired then I'll put it back on the machine
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Some times it is OKAY to offer items FOR SALE here on this forum and then sometimes the forum jumps all over the poster who dares to do that.

I do find that interesting.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
amboyna
Gold Member

Model 10ER for sale

Post by amboyna »

Wrong thread. Sorry.
Last edited by amboyna on Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Okay I need to answer a couple things here.

The 2 parts still used today in the Mark V and Mark 7 that date back to the Model 10's are the Quill Return Spring and the rubber Quill Bumper Ring.

John,
You are more or less correct about the lathe centers but there has been slight changes in those. The Lathe tailstock Centers were originally a 60 degree point before replaced by the cup centers. The Lathe Drive had the set screw size change at the introduction of the Mark 5 from 1/4" to 5/16". Both the drive and tailstock centers now have the black coating which began in the 1960's.

chace,
If your Shopsmith Model 10 was made in Australia than it is not an early Model 10E. It would be nearly the same as the later Model 10ER's. Is there an "A" prefix before the serial number? A picture of the headstock with the Logo/serial number plate will tell us more.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Sabotier
Bronze Member

Post by Sabotier »

I have a model 10ER for which I need to find a new, hopefully happy, home. The machine was my father's (S/N ER-10822, possibly built in 1949) - he maintained it and used it for many years, refusing to replace it with a Mark V. I purchased a Mark V from a neighbor some years ago, PLUS we'll be moving (away from the Boston area) sometime next year, and moving this machine would be silly.
Here's the machine:
ShopSmith_10ER_20200919.jpg
ShopSmith_10ER_20200919.jpg (660.07 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
Everything sitting on or in front of the machine comes with it. The blue binder contains the ORIGINAL Owner's Guide, various accessory brochures, and even several issues of the "Shop Notes" newsletter.
I've cleaned up and waxed the ways, and cleaned the drill chuck. I've also plugged it in and run the motor to make sure that still works.
What you can't see in the photo is that the machine is equipped with the two-belt variable speed changer (where the positions of the belts determines the range, and a crank adjusts speed within the range).
The base is a home-built shipping container for the machine, with swiveling casters on the corners.
My question: where is the best place to advertise the machine for sale - what audience would best understand what it is?
I could post to CraigsList, but have no idea whether that would reach the right audience. (I have a deep aversion to eBay.)
Of course, if anyone on this forum would be interested in the machine (with all the attachments and accessories shown), that would be good too.
Again, I'm just outside Boston.